Rain, my little Cobalt. Molting? Eating?

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My Cobalt Blue is very pretty as it is, but the blue coloring is not very vibrant. I was curious as to whether that would change when molting. Anyone know?

Also, she hasn't eaten since I bought her. I know it's normal for them to go without food for a bit but I have never seen any of my T's deny food so it just seemed odd to me. I had even offered her a pinky mouse and she didn't care to eat it, she just let it cuddle against her.
Weird?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The color on your H.lividum will definately become more vibrant(no necessarily meaning the blue, just the overall color) after a molt, usually after the color starts fading on Ts it means a molt is a couple of days to a couple of months away.

When did you get it, and how big is it?

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
could very well be in premolt. also, like Novak mentioned, they don't really get the blue coloring till they are older.

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I got her about a week ago now. About 3". If she's in premolt, oh man I'd be excited. She's a beautiful little girl. I'd post a picture if I could.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hm well shes not eating because either shes in premolt, or shes still adjusting to her new home. Just try feeding her in a couple days. If she doesn't take it I'm gonna assume premolt.

Why can't you post pics?

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I don't have any way of getting the pictures onto the computer at the moment, but I'll put some up as soon as I get the chance

Alice

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
maybe she's in premolt ans doesn't eat because of that. but you should certainly reconsider feeding a mouse - even a pinki - to a 3 inch tarantula.

because:

1. it's too big, maybe that's why she doesn't eat it. many of my ts won't eat prey that seems to large to them.
2. it's too nourishing, ts live mostly on invertebrate prey in the wild. many people think that feeding vertebrate prey on a regular basis can cause molting problems and death (just use the search funktion on this one).
3. their venom is not very potent, thus causing the mouse to suffer a good deal before it's finally dead.
3. it's messy - juices and blood will soak into the substrate and can cause mould and mites to grow. invertebrate prey is much cleaner.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
When i rehoused my lividum it began eating almost right away. It hasn't really dug or done much to its enclosure yet but IS eating regularly.

I guess that's another vote for the "it's gonna molt" camp.

Mine is not especially vibrant either at nearly 5". Like you, i'm hoping it will brighten up at next molt.

Kwadapok

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Just molted!!

My little beauty just molted from .75in to about 1.25. unfortunatly s/he did it while i was at work today but it was still exciting to get home and see the shed skin. it was the first molt in my care.{D

Rain_Flower

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I can't wait for her to molt. I'm going to try and feed her a cricket or two today and see if anything has changed, if not, I'm hoping it's molting time! Also, like I said she's about three inches, maybe four and not very bright, any one possibly have an idea on age?

Gold Skulltula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I really have to get my H.lividum in good light before I can see her blue. Perhaps get a small display light to put on top of her tank. Don't have it on all the time, but when you see her out and want to get a good look at her, or when you're snapping pictures, turn the light on.