Quick Question about Pine wood

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
I have a piece of Pine Wood in my Suntigers cage. It is from a surveying spike. I was just wondering if pine was poisonous to tarantulas? I read before that Cedar is very bad but nothing about Pine... But I just read a caresheet that said dont use pine shavings. I dont have shavings in the cage just the piece of wood.

TheDon

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Don,
Get rid of it asap, all conifers = BAD!!!!

Cheers,
Steve

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok, I've heard that pine is bad for tarantulas but I've never heard why. Anyone care to enlighten me? Does anyone have a list of what is "bad" for tarantulas?

kellygirl

Alias

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
pine resin is a strong antiseptic, its used in medicine. Its poisonous and also sensory overloading for the spider (pine wood is very aromatic and spiders smell is very delicate). as far as I know, from all conifers, pine is least attacked by woodworms, so it probably has insecticide qualities too.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
damn but she has a huge web built onto it... and i can just imagine what she is gonna do to my hand when I try and take it... are u sure it is really bad?

Last edited:

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yes, I'm certain it's bad, your spider could die from having that piece of wood in there, NO CONIFERS!!!!! Many bad oils for arthropods in all conifers, natural pesticides......

Steve

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
ok so I should just break the web then? and that wont make her upset?

dennis

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I think you'd rather have an upset T, then a dead one ...

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheDon
ok so I should just break the web then? and that wont make her upset?
Not as upset as death ;) Yup, just break the web and chase her on out of there.

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
Ok I changed it... I put a piece of drift wood in for her. Hopefully she will be ok =( I would be sad if she died