questions & observations

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Hi all,
My Desert Hairy is doing marvelously. A constant source of entertainment. I could watch it for hours. Ok, what I wrote about.

* I decided that maybe he/she needed food, so I dropped a couple of adult cricks in. (this is a full grown scorp, 3-4 inches) What is an adequate amount of food?
* Is there a particularily better time to feed, for them?
* When he/she noticed prey items afoot, its color darkened, right before my eyes. Is this a feeding response?
* Also, I use distilled water to mist and water my t's, my python, and my scorp. (when he will be watered) Is there a bolt on water filtration system I can attach to my faucet? I go through an insane amount of water.

Thank you....
Peace,
Gillian

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
I feed mine up to 4 medium-sized crickets per week...less during the 'winter' cool down period. Mine spend the entire day in their burrows and only come out at night after the lights go out. They don't bother with any crickets that may be roaming about in they day. I have never seen the color change you mentioned nor have heard it mentioned before...There are screw on filters you should be able to get for your faucet in the $30-50 range...

Hope that answers some of your questions.

John
];')

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by Kugellager
I feed mine up to 4 medium-sized crickets per week...less during the 'winter' cool down period. Mine spend the entire day in their burrows and only come out at night after the lights go out. They don't bother with any crickets that may be roaming about in they day. I have never seen the color change you mentioned nor have heard it mentioned before...There are screw on filters you should be able to get for your faucet in the $30-50 range...

Hope that answers some of your questions.

John
];')

John,
Thank you, you've answered them all. Btw, when I first threw crickets in there, the little cutie got so excited, it was running everywhere. On one of its running sprees, I got a very good look at its underside. So, it is a male. Pectines are very odd looking organs. Do they play a part in fertilization for the male, as well as an egg repository for females?
LOVE Scorps! Very cool! He hasn't burrowed yet, but has instead taken to the driftwood as shelter during the day. The so-called undertank heater on the side was not putting out enough heat. (I say this because he was crammed against the side where it was, day and night) So, I dug out one of my reptile heat fixtures, and put it on top.

Peace,
Gillian

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
The use that is usually attributed to the pectines is in prey location by sensing vibration. If you watch your scorp stalking prey you will notice the pectines constantly being placed on the substrate surface.

Be careful when using lamp to heat your enclosures....As you may have noticed from some of my pics I place my lamps at one end allowing a gradation of temps that the scorp can choose. I also have those sticky fish tank temp strips on the inside of both ends of my longer tanks so I know what the gradation is and so it doesn't get out of control. I also have one of those digital thermometers with the probe on a wire(meant for runnig outside)...they run around $10. Its my most useful temp tool as I can put the probe anywhere...even down in their borrows to make sure it is not to hot/cold.

John
];')

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
John,
Thanks. I'll dig out my reptile thermometer. I don't have a thermostat, however I have a rheostat. I do, however, have the bulb only at one end, and is on a timer. The bulb is a 60w, heatbulb.
Come to think of it, he was tapping and touching the ground with his pectines.

Peace, Gillian