questions for ppl with "real" tarantula rooms

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok my problem is this later this week ill break the 50 T mark and since ive been spending my T room money on Ts im a bit behind in finishing it and my wife told me no more till i finish it :(

what i currently have
12'x15' framed in room with the option of going much much larger if needed atm i have a floor and framed walls no electrical yet i want ideas for everything from the amount of electrical plugins to what tarantula and how many i could try to coinhabit in a cage thats 8'x4' or bigger

questions

what do you have in your room
what do you wish you had put in your room
what kind of heating do you use or would use
what kind of lighting is best for stimulating night and day
timed misting systems anyone use one? pros/cons?
air circulation what do you use ? or would use

i know im missing things feel free to suggest any ideas . i got about 5 months befor i have to move Ts into this new room so i can take my time and do just about anything with this room, i hate doing things twice im hoping to do it right the first time :clap:

Varden

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Okay, it's a simple, stupid thing, but I wish I didn't have carpet in there. White linoleum floor and white walls would be a Godsend for those times when I'm moving Ts and one scampers into temporary freedom.

When you arrange your furniture, arrange to have everything centered around a worktable to minimize all the back and forth you're going to be doing, and have a place to sit. If you're going to spend long hours in there, have a form of entertainment, too. A stereo or tv. Something for background noise while you work.

A clock is good, too.

And a phone, so you don't have to keep going up and down the silly stairs because your hubby won't answer the phone and you're too stupid to get a cordless. Or maybe that's just me. :eek:

My heating is a wall unit with a thermostat across the room.

The only time my lights come on is when I'm working, but I have 8 windows at all angles for indirect light.

I have a fan for air-circulation in the gravid mamas room, but not in the main room. Mostly because the main room is huge and the gravid mama's room much smaller.

Last edited:

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
"real" T rooms huh......:rolleyes: what about fake ones?

I have a main room thats under construction, most of the Ts will be in a room that is 77 at night 80 during the day.
My pokies go in the closet, which I think so far I am going to be able to keep it between 72-76. I have a "mothers to hopefully be" room. They are cooled for 6-8 weeks at 64-66 degrees.
I just moved in so its all coming together even today I am going to shop for some sort of shelving system. Ahh but its coming along great. :D
I do want to spring for a very accurate temp and humidity gauge for the whole room. And I want to get things on timers so that it takes some of the work out of monitoring. Other then that I have my own quarks on how I get things done.

widowkeeper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a fan for air-circulation in the gravid mamas room, but not in the main room. Mostly because the main room is huge and the gravid mama's room much smaller.
would love to hear more about that.atm i have 4 sets ready to attempt breeding and 5 that will be ready sometime in the next year would love to pick your brain sometime :p

massmorels

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dang Varden, you basically described my room.. only difference is my heater is a space heater with built in thermostat, I have florescents that come on with timers from 8am-4pm, and no clock.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I'm not exactly sure what criteria you give to a "real" tarantula room, but I have been well over the 50 mark for years. My answers to your questions will be quite simplistic, however, quite effective. Tarantulas are, whether some want to believe it or not, simple animals with simple needs.

what do you have in your room
Tarantulas individually housed in their own container, two sets of two-tierd shelving units positioned in the corner, my bed, a night stand, my clothes, cricket bin, and an array of tools- paintbrush, plastic containers, tweezers, etc.

what do you wish you had put in your room
More shelving, but that is coming soon. Taking into account the number of small/ young tarantulas that will get bigger and planning for the additional amount of space needed for bigger containers is a must.

what kind of heating do you use or would use
None in addition to what the good 'ol central heating and air can provide. I've had to add a space heater and free standing electric fan when I lived in a place that didn't have central heating/ air conditioning. It maybe a good idea to add one of each if one lives way up in the north.

what kind of lighting is best for stimulating night and day
Usually the sunlight works out just fine. Again, simulating night and day cycles is pointless in my opinion.

timed misting systems anyone use one? pros/cons?
None for me. Humidity is maintained by damp substrate, drinking water is provided in a plastic dish. Simple as that. My thoughts on timed misting systems- Pros: It makes one feel cool and like they accomplished something; Cons- It will irritate the holy jesus out of your tarantula

air circulation what do you use ? or would use
Just the ceiling fan that came with the bedroom.

- Lonnie