Questions and directions

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Hey guys. For about the last month I've really fancied getting a centipede for myself.

I know that the term 'beginner centipede' is rather pointless considering they're all unforgiving if they bite you. I'm not interested in finding out first hand how bad it hurts.

I was looking for species recomendations besides s polymorphia. I'm simply not attracted to that species. I'm a lot more interested in s viridis personally but am open to any and all suggestions.

I've also had trouble finding consistant care outlines on specific species, so if you have a recomendation, and have the time, a few bullet notes on their basic husbandry would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, I'd like some direction of where to search online for dealers. I'd prefer someone that also sells some scorpions or tarantulas so I can make the shipping cost of an order worthwhile. If nothing else I can just wait for my next loca reptile show, but last time I was there, the only centipedes on sale where adults, and I'm really into raising animals from babies when it's an option.

At the end of the day, I'm all ears, so if you have anything useful to share with me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Escape proof enclosure. A large RUB is your best bet. Damp deep substrate. Cork bark. Springtails. A water dish and a temp around 70-80f.

Done.

As for the species that's down to what you find attractive. I currently have a little Scolopendra Hardwickei and it's stunning. Follow the above and they're all pretty hardy.

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Escape proof enclosure. A large RUB is your best bet. Damp deep substrate. Cork bark. Springtails. A water dish and a temp around 70-80f.

Done.

As for the species that's down to what you find attractive. I currently have a little Scolopendra Hardwickei and it's stunning. Follow the above and they're all pretty hardy.
All of them can be kept damp? Well that's pretty much the only thing I was wondering about. If that's the case I can just buy whatever looks cool.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Yeah, you're right... when it comes to 'beginner centipedes' the choice is very poor, unlike for when it comes to T's: sometimes because not always and not everywhere the somewhat considered 'beginner' centipedes, like S.cingulata (example), can be found in the trade, sometimes because, let's be honest, sadly centipedes doesn't have such "big" market like T's.

I'd recommend you a S.subspinipes, ain't joking at all.

At the end of the day every 'pede is an escape artist. Bites, brutal venom? Avoid being bitten or to end in a risky position, and job done.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
All of them can be kept damp? Well that's pretty much the only thing I was wondering about. If that's the case I can just buy whatever looks cool.
No. While on that sense they are more sensitive to that so an 'eye' is advised, not all centipedes needs to be on a too much moist substrate. Especially those that comes from the dry hot areas of the U.S; still, no bone dry like a 'Grammo' uh.

The Asians and the tropical ones in general, yes they need moist substrate and, of course, a good ventilation.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
This is the set up of my 0.1 S.subspinipes: moist substrate (inches of substrate), pieces of cork bark, fake leaves, a water dish. They love hiding places, that's why I offered more cork bark.

image_52036.jpg

Cheo Samad

Arachnopeon
Taking all of that into consideration, I think the smartest thing to do would be to wait until my next local show, and simply keep my eyes open, get the general care of the species I like, and go from there.

Thank you for the long well thought out reply. :)