Questions about Schultz

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have been reading A tarantula keepers guide by schultz and I was wondering why some of the names I see for diferent tarantulas are different than the names I am used too.

I see what I am almost postitive is a G. Rosea and he calls it something else. Is there other tarantulas that look THAT much like a rosie? Or are there variations of the scientific names?

Thanks in advance for you coming answers,

-Charlie

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Well, first off, the book is pretty old and certain T's have been placed in synonomy with each other since it's been printed. This may be why you're seeing species such as G. rosea and G. cala being mentioned as different species, when they've since been synonomized.

Hope that answers your question,

Scott

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Name

Actually Scott its on page 75 ( I am assuming you have the book) and the name he uses is Phrixotrichus Spatulata.

Is that the same as a Rosie?

Thanks,

-Charlie

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Re: Name

Originally posted by Charlie
Actually Scott its on page 75 ( I am assuming you have the book) and the name he uses is Phrixotrichus Spatulata.

Is that the same as a Rosie?

Thanks,

-Charlie
Yes, that name is synonymous with Grammastola Rosea.

Bill

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
@ Bill,

Thanks for answering :)

@ Charlie,

Bill is right, there were a few different sci names that were synonomized with G. rosea in the end. I was just using the G. rosea, G. cala one as an example. :)

Scott

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thank you

Thank you both very much. I am finding the scientific names a little confusing sometimes and appreciate the fact that I can come here and ask.

Thanks again,

-Charlie