Questions about p transvaalicus

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
Im thinking about getting some p transvaalicus. How venomous are they? Id like to keep them but I dont want somthing that is lethal in my house. Can the venom be compared to any old world T's? Or is it much more powerful?
Thanks

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The species is medically significant. They are not the most potent species but they are big. They are capable of injecting a large amount of venom with each sting. You really can't compare any tarantula to a HOT scorpion. They are very different. P trans can, in very small percentage of stings, kill a human. While dangerous they are also much easier to keep safely. Scorpions can't climb glass or other smooth surfaces. So the only way they get out is keeper error. You can see how it's a tough comparision to make. In my opinion you're more likely to get bit by an OW tarantula than stung by a scorpion. However a scorpion sting can be much worse. (I'm assuming you won't be holding a P trans, if so throw out the last few sentences.)

If the venom strength worries you, I'd recomend a Hadrurus species. They are a big, aggressive, desert species, from the US South West, that won't kill you.

John

Balkastalkman

Arachnosquire
I actually have a desert hairy and a few dunes on its way this week. Thank you for clearing that up for me. I dont think they are for me because I have other people in the house and it wouldnt be fair to them to have this scorp with a medically significant sting living with them.

Roy

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that is very kind and considerate of you. I am more selfish when it comes to my scorpions, I get whatever I want as long as I know that they are kept secure. I should be more considerate too I guess, but I do not have children or older people around in the house.

The funny part is that my housemates will absolutely not allow any centipedes in the house when it is the scorpions they should be most worried about when it comes to venom potency, and those I have plenty.

Maybe one day when I live with more accepting people I'll be able to get a hardwickei or polymorpha.