Questions about my Avicularia avicularia

Porqp

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone,

I got my Avic about 4 months ago and so far he has molted once.

He was eating Voraciously before that. But ever since his molt about 1 month ago? It refused any sort of food, in fact even run away from it when it gets too close. (Mealworm/Crickets)

All it (I have no idea if its a male/female) does is chill in his web during the day & pace around the tank at night. Any experienced handlers have an explanation? I'm worried its stressed, what can i do?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Pics of the Tarantula and setup would help to get you an educated answer.

How large is it? (Diagonal leg span, not body length)
Does it have tibial hooks/bulbous pedipalps? (Indicates a mature male, which won't eat as its sole purpose in life is to find a mate)

It might just not be hungry, some Tarantulas take a long time after a moult (weeks - months) to start eating again, as long as the abdomen doesn't look shrivelled up and it has easy access to water then it should be fine.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
The behavior you're describing makes me think you have a mature male on your hands. Photos of the T would be very helpful here. What size was it when it was sold to you as unsexed? If it was near adult size, you almost certainly got ripped off and sold a penultimate male as an unsexed specimen.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You could have a MM OR you could have a large Avic, what size is it? Some of my adult Avics have done that long without eating, they were females too.

A clean/clear pic of your would help too. Just remember, identifying an Avic by a picture is not smart for all but a few species. The pic is more to see the size of its abdomen in my case.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Is this your first T? Sometimes they just don't eat, and no one can really be sure why. As long as the body condition is still good (look at the abdomen), it might just not be hungry.

And as others have said, you could also have a mature male. Once a male tarantula reaches its ultimate molt, they tend to not show much interest in feeding. They're looking for ladies;)

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
How large is it? (Diagonal leg span, not body length) (Indicates a mature male, which won't eat as its sole purpose in life is to find a mate)

It might just not be hungry, some Tarantulas take a long time after a moult (weeks - months) to start eating again
Mature males may become less enthusiastic about feeding but a healthy freshly molted male should accept food, at least for a few feedings. If he refuses altogether and never eats he wouldn't last very long on his journey to find females.

But yes, they will soon change dispositions and put all they're focus into mating. I've got a few MMs that eat well and have been mature for a few months...

Porqp

Arachnopeon
Pic above

Pics of the Tarantula and setup would help to get you an educated answer.

How large is it? (Diagonal leg span, not body length)
Does it have tibial hooks/bulbous pedipalps? (Indicates a mature male, which won't eat as its sole purpose in life is to find a mate)

It might just not be hungry, some Tarantulas take a long time after a moult (weeks - months) to start eating again, as long as the abdomen doesn't look shrivelled up and it has easy access to water then it should be fine.