Questions about field collecting...

DeeSeven

Arachnopeon
hello guys

As the winter months hit in the cold new england section of the usa I've decided that I'd like to do some research on collecting come 2011. So a few questions....

1. What is the best vial/container to put insects in? I realize that size makes a difference so is there a "general" size? I'm looking to collect insects on the ground so no butterflies or moths maybe a bee/wasp or 2

2. How do I preserve these? I've heard alcohol can be used on some species but not all.

thanks

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hello guys

As the winter months hit in the cold new england section of the usa I've decided that I'd like to do some research on collecting come 2011. So a few questions....

1. What is the best vial/container to put insects in? I realize that size makes a difference so is there a "general" size? I'm looking to collect insects on the ground so no butterflies or moths maybe a bee/wasp or 2

2. How do I preserve these? I've heard alcohol can be used on some species but not all.

thanks
Alcohol leaves the insects quite brittle and some specimens will lose their color. The most common method for keeping a bug collection is to pin the insects

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I typically store my dead stock in an extra freezer I have until I get around to pinning every couple years or so ;-). You can actually fit quite a few bugs into a 32 ounce deli cup, separated by layers of paper towels, etc.

DeeSeven

Arachnopeon
thanks for the responses guys

the 32 ounce deli cup idea sounds good to me a lot easier then these little jars.

Now a silly question (maybe) do I need any type of permit for field collecting? I'm in Connecticut

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
thanks for the responses guys

the 32 ounce deli cup idea sounds good to me a lot easier then these little jars.

Now a silly question (maybe) do I need any type of permit for field collecting? I'm in Connecticut
In Washington it is technically illegal unless you get a Scientific Collection Permit from F&W, which are nearly impossible to obtain. Good news is that in talking with them, they say yeah legally you are not supposed to do but it isn't enforced:confused::wall:;) You will need to do some calling and searching within your state, get ready for the pass off. It's lots of fun.

Good luck,

myrmecophile

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Collecting is not technically illegal in most places I know of no state where it is illegal state wide. If you have been told that then someone is smoking something interesting. If you are collecting in national or state parks you need a permit which is near impossible to get, game/wildlife preserves sometimes depends on the reserve manager. BLM lands technically a permit is needed but it is a piece of cake to get or used to be at least. But over all there are no restrictions on collecting. National forest service lands require one if you are collecting commercially but not for hobby collecting. This is often the case on other "protected" lands as well.

Vfox

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Collecting is not technically illegal in most places I know of no state where it is illegal state wide. If you have been told that then someone is smoking something interesting. If you are collecting in national or state parks you need a permit which is near impossible to get, game/wildlife preserves sometimes depends on the reserve manager. BLM lands technically a permit is needed but it is a piece of cake to get or used to be at least. But over all there are no restrictions on collecting. National forest service lands require one if you are collecting commercially but not for hobby collecting. This is often the case on other "protected" lands as well.
I was about to mention this actually. If you're a member of the entomological society in your local area it's a lot easier to get permits but you still need to jump through the hoops. I prefer collecting on private land (as in mine and my families) and thus avoiding any issues. If you're collecting near waterways that are public land you may be bothered by a game warden or park ranger making sure you're not fishing without a license, remember though, a net near water makes it look like you're dipping minnows and that's illegal without a fishing license on hand.

I've been stopped several times and once I explain to them what I'm doing they give me a strange look, a stranger look at my catches, and then confused...normally just leave with a smile that says "weirdo". I've never had anyone ask me to stop or even mention any laws regarding to what I was doing however and honestly most people are really curious and interested in what you find.

As for vials...I use whatever is on hand atm. I use bead containers, coin containers, pill bottles, glass jars, ziplocs, whatever I need to hold onto something until I get home. I found a really good site that talks about pinning and preserving recently as well. It's http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/401Book/default.php?page=relaxing_chamber which this link goes directly to the often overlooked relaxing chamber. :)

DeeSeven

Arachnopeon

thank you for the heads up myrmecophile :) i just want to play by the "rules" so I can spend more time on collecting/enjoying myself less time wasting my time trying to get a permit that I won't need

I was about to mention this actually. If you're a member of the entomological society in your local area it's a lot easier to get permits but you still need to jump through the hoops. I prefer collecting on private land (as in mine and my families) and thus avoiding any issues. If you're collecting near waterways that are public land you may be bothered by a game warden or park ranger making sure you're not fishing without a license, remember though, a net near water makes it look like you're dipping minnows and that's illegal without a fishing license on hand.

I've been stopped several times and once I explain to them what I'm doing they give me a strange look, a stranger look at my catches, and then confused...normally just leave with a smile that says "weirdo". I've never had anyone ask me to stop or even mention any laws regarding to what I was doing however and honestly most people are really curious and interested in what you find.

As for vials...I use whatever is on hand atm. I use bead containers, coin containers, pill bottles, glass jars, ziplocs, whatever I need to hold onto something until I get home. I found a really good site that talks about pinning and preserving recently as well. It's http://extension.entm.purdue.edu/401Book/default.php?page=relaxing_chamber which this link goes directly to the often overlooked relaxing chamber. :)
thanks for the link and the info very helpful

Deroplatys

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I dont see the point in collecting for the purpose of killing what ever it is and drying/preserving it, why not simply keep what ever it is, try to breed it and then just preserve it when it dies of old age?

Travis K

TravIsGinger
Old Timer
You can add WA to that statewide list. I was emailing and calling F&W as well as USDA and know for a fact that in WA if you do not have a "scientific collection permit" then you are technically breaking the law. To obtain a scientific collection permit you need to get one via University/science/facility/educational institution/museum --->F&W, and they are species specific and you have to collect and send back your collection data. They will not issue SPCs to the private sector.

So in my state it is illegal, but they say they don't really care about people collecting inverts. They have jurisdiction over the whole state, public and private lands alike. Welcome to WA, we have some of the strictest F&W rules & regs in the country.

Cheers

Jam Reptiles

Arachnopeon
hello guys

thanks
Hey I live in new england too. What part do you live in?

DeeSeven

Arachnopeon
thanks for the information guys and I live in the "great state" of connecticut jam reptiles :) I head up to NH every so often to check out the reptile show there in manchester