Questions about Emporer

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Looks very nice. :clap:

I put in more water (about 2.25L or 1/2 gal) every 2 to 3 months. But if the substrate looks dry add some in. The concept of the false bottom is that as the top of the soil drys out the moisture from below leaches up through it keeping it damp and the enclosure humid. So if you see the rock layer dry add some more water also.
It is winter time here now, and my house is averaging 20% humidity, and my tanks keep in the high 80%'s, there is condensation on the inside of the glass, I haven't needed to add water in 2 months now.

Regard Thaedion

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
Noticed white webs in the tank resembiling spiderwebs but its fuzzy at the same time is that bad or what? It was on the drift wood pieces

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Noticed white webs in the tank resembiling spiderwebs but its fuzzy at the same time is that bad or what? It was on the drift wood pieces
It might be spider webs, I had a piece of wood from outdoors, that I baked, still have spiderwebs on the underside of it.

It might be mold. Mold should not pose too big of a threat, but it is unsightly and can cause stink. If it is mold be careful when taking it out so as not to contaminate the whole tank with spores, also any substrate that might have come in contact with the affected area scoop it out too.

Where did the wood come from? Did you bake it in the oven? You might want to take it out, clean it and bake it. (if you do bake it, be mindful not to burn it, and not to put it back in right away with the scorpions. HOT)

Last edited:

pandinus potro

Arachnopeon
hi, the name of this scorpion type is "pandinus imperator", and this scorpions are sociability, but you don't forget the territory of the scorpions, for this is probably they will fight in a moment

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
Well its drift wood from petco so i thought it was good i took it out other piece of wood has it to so it must be mold

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well its drift wood from petco so i thought it was good i took it out other piece of wood has it to so it must be mold
Just take it out, scrub it under hot water, bake it in the oven. (I like 450° F for an hour.) Let it cool and put it back in. :D

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
Back Again, I have these VERY little white things with legs in the tank just crawling around, I think there mites. So i should change the substrate and what else?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Make sure there arent any uneaten remains or dead crickets. You can go outside and collect Isopods and add to the tank which compete with mites for food. Isopods are the "rollie pollies" you find under logs, or rocks

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Something maybe wrong if you have mold and mites already.

Be sure to always remove excess cricket bits and even the extra live crickets if they are not eaten, crickets don't live long regardless so chances are a few may die in the tank (obviously attracting mold and mites).

As you know, that type of scorpion requires humidity, but humidity is useless without ventialtion. From what I saw your cover is completly sealed, doing this you will have mold spore over and over.

If you can see the legs on the infestation I would assume they are mites, as springtails are pretty tiny. Do a couple google searchs and see if you can narrow it down. Also note in the future whether or not they are actually on the scorpion. Mites are no good and neither is mold, also unrestricted airflow may leave your scorpion supseptable to bacterial/fungal infections such as mycosis.

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
Well when it comes to ventilation i have a piece of plexi glass with the center cut out. The mold came from Wooden pieces that soaked water from the substrate and i think the heat helped it grow but thats not a problem anymore as all the wood has been removed from the take

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The mold didn't come from the wood, the mold came from the tank conditions and grew on the wood. I just wanted to check on ventilation because that's not uncommon. Don't be fooled thinking just because you took the problem out that it is now eliminated. Mold can become airborne and the slighest disturbance can affect surrounding areas quite quickly. If you want to be safe, sterilize the substrate, but you can monitor it and make that decision if you see fit. Just remember that mold can and will grow anywhere in the tank, not just on wood, hides or decorations.

They sound more like springtails to me . . . if they are, they aren't anything to worry about.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...s?q=springtails&gbv=2&svnum=10&hl=en&safe=off
Do you know how many times that is magnified, I've never seen a springtail that big. :) So that picture maybe misleading. My only concern is the fact that he stated they are crawling around..... Springtails bounce around.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen my springtails crawl a little bit . . . but they do bounce all over the place if I disturb them. I've also seen predatory mites in some of my tanks (with my boss specializing in acarology, I can tell those apart from others).

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
Well i ended up losing 2 scorpions last week, an adult and one of the children which left me with one child in the tank and two others in my other tank. Well when i arrived home from school i noticed that that one of the two had baby's it looks to be just four of them, hopefully they dont get eatin by the other big scorpion or the baby from the other tank.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I use Plexiglas to hold in moisture too. I also use 9x9 inch glass plates that fit perfect on the screen tops I have. What you could do with the Plexiglas cover is score it and snap in in half, then you can slide one over the other to where you think you have it right when it comes to holding in the moisture and air flow.

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That sucks to lose your scorpions; if a female had young, it wouldn't surprise me if she took out her tankmates. I've heard they get awful territorial when they have babies. Separate all the other scorpions from her and her babies.

Good luck keeping everyone else alive!

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've abandoned tanks... they are too heavy, too hard to store and will absorb any bit of cold air in the room, making heating a pain. Plastic bins all the way, humidity is easily regulated with a sealable top. Plus, the bins stack. Currently, everyone has a 19L sterilite, they are the best high and wide for any individual big or small and even is tall enough for most bark scorps. Plus it's only 1.39.
EDIT: To clear that up I met everyone being all of my species.. I didn't want to make it seem like there is some cool new sterilite fad going around.

Last edited:

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've started using those because of their lightness / stackability / cheapness . . . but is it possible to use a side-tank heater on them?