Questions about Emporer

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
I think the Latin name is P.Impertors but anyway.

I currently have 2 living in one tank and 3 in another. The 2 are both adults and the other 3 are 1 adult with 2 young (not that young) is it ok to put them together or should i just leave them seperated?

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I think the Latin name is P.Impertors but anyway.

I currently have 2 living in one tank and 3 in another. The 2 are both adults and the other 3 are 1 adult with 2 young (not that young) is it ok to put them together or should i just leave them seperated?
It's spelled "emperor" and i think its "panidus imperator"

How small are they? if they are near the size of the adults, then go for it. make sure you have plenty of feeding, hides, and a large enough cage.

Good luck:)

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The Latin name is Pandinus imperator, and the common is spelled "emperor."

The general rule to go by for communal tanks is that all scorpions should be the same approximate size, and there should be at least one hiding spot per scorpion. You should be able to put the three adults together, but if territorial disputes erupt (and they do from time to time), it would be wise to separate.

And remember, they're always communal until they aren't. :)

Hope that helps!

Edit: Ack! Scorp guy beat me by thirty seconds! :rolleyes:

P.jasonius

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What kind of substrate are you using, btw? They are going to need hides and or substrate to burrow into. Your substrate looks too loose to burrow into, and that piece of wood doesn't look like a suitable hiding area. This may stress your scorpions and cause them to fight/ eat each other.

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
I use repti bark but i have replacement for it and i have another peice of Wood for them to hide under i took out for the picture

Mr. Mordax

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Switch to something more soil-like. Your best bet is peat or the expandable coconut fiber (usually marketed as "bed-a-beast," or something similar). I notice you have a desert-themed background -- I hope your conditions aren't desert-like. Emps need high humidity in addition to warmth. The substrates I mentioned hold moisture in really well.

For hides, I use the half-logs from petco, and mine love them. Good luck with your scorps. It looks like one is already extra well-fed :D.

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I use repti bark but i have replacement for it and i have another peice of Wood for them to hide under i took out for the picture
I'd toss the bark....it doesn't hold moisture well, and cant hold a burrow. Get a few nice pieces of cork bark and/or driftwood to hide under too.

good luck :)

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
Well they were on sand before when my dad had them, then i switched to Repti bark and will replace them to Forest Bed Expandable stuff this weekend, thats why i was asking can i put them together or should i keep them seperate

BTW I am gonna put a false bottom in my new tank does it really matter what kind of rocks i put at the bottom of the tank?

Last edited:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
... thats why i was asking can i put them together or should i keep them seperate

BTW I am gonna put a false bottom in my new tank does it really matter what kind of rocks i put at the bottom of the tank?
A general rule of thumb I use for P imperators is roughly 5gal per emperor.

As far as false bottom set ups go there are numerous concepts about gravel and screening off the gravel etc. I threw together a You Tube video segment (10 segments 30 minutes total) tutorial on how I go about a false bottom set up. My tanks stay in the high 80's to low 90's on humidity and around 30°C/85°F. I haven't got it together yet to include in this forum but here is a link to my You Tube Profile http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Thaedion you can watch them if you care to and take them as a basis for your false bottom set up.

Hope this helps. Thaedion

Last edited:

AirForce1AkaB

Arachnopeon
thanx alot and ill check them out, i bought some rocks from the dollor store but then realized i didnt know what size rocks i needed,but mine should work fine im gonna have a screen seperate it just incase

Last edited:

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Watch out with those rocks, I saw those and wondered if they could be used..the second I opened the package I knew something was wrong, upon putting the rocks under hot water the color started bleeding off of it so I immediately discarded the rocks assuming they were packed with chemicals. You can buy gravel from home depot for about 12lbs for about 5$, I think I would do that. They did have natural rocks at the dollar store along with the colored ones, but comming from the same company and the poor quality of the colored ones, I wouldn't advise use. :) BTW, looks like one has a molt upcomming, he needs to be humid or it could cause problems. :)

PS, be sure to use fiberglass screening!!!! The screen with oxidize if you don't. :)

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Another note on gravel, make sure you know what type it is (ie Limestone probably not good, river stone probably okay.) That is why I use aquarium stones, they're designed for aquatic habitats and should not have any chemicals/dyes added.

PS: a side note on using a mesh screen between the gravel and substrate, I don't recommend it for your burrowing scorpions. The whole tank perimeter (where the screen meets the glass) is an access point that allows the scorpion a chance to get between the screen and the stones. I don't think that would be good to happen. For if it does you'll probably have to tear down the whole tank to remove your scorpion. Just a thought.

Regards Thaedion

Last edited:

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
emps dont seem to be picky, ive kept 4 in a 10 gal. tank quite successfully, and used to have a pair in a sterlite shoebox.

John

HackoDis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I bought another emp after a year i had my first one. No problems at all, there not even the same size. Reminds me i should get some crickets....*runs off to pet store*

shotcaller88

Arachnopeon
Thaedion, thanks for the great videos. I'm in the process of setting up an enclosure for an emperor and they came in very handy. I plan to use a heat mat (on the side) instead of a light and peat moss instead of the coco fiber. I definitely like the idea of the large stones for the false bottom & will be using those. :worship:

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Thaedion, thanks for the great videos.... :worship:
I'm glad that they came in handy. The question comes up every so often "how do you go about making a 'false bottom' set up" so I just threw those together one morning when I came home from work. I plan on putting them up here on the forum sometime.

Cheers Thaedion