questions about centipedes -locke

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hello, arachnopeons! it's locke.

i've kept tarantulas as many as 30 specieses for about past 3 years.

and these days i'm interested in centipedes.

actually last year i kept a vietnamese giant centipede(Scolopendra subspinipes) and has two haitians now.

i think a centipede is more attractive to me than a tarantula. (it's only my opinion.)

you know that i'm not good at centipedes.

these days i'm very curious about pedes. the reason i've joined this site is for finding good informations for my pedes. i think there are many good pede-keepers here.

i have few questions for this time. please read and answer my questions if you want.

first of all, my two haitian centipedes are very friendly to each other. one is 9 and the other is 9.5cm yet.

i heard some words about characteristics. one species is possible for keeping with a same(species) centipede in a cage together and the other species is not.

give me a chance to explain my question.

if i have 2 different specieses which are not aggressive to same species and i keep 2 different centipedes into one cage together.. will they recognize each other as a food and hunt fataly for dinner? or as male adult lions... will they fight and try to get each other out of its territory? or finally will they would also be kind to each other? even if not a same size or gender or anything else...

second, i heard the strength of their poisons. well.. i have no experience of keeping such pedes like gigantea or galapagoensis. but somebody told me their poison is terribly stronger than any giant centipedes such as my haitians.

i know most giant centipedes have poison which is more strong than or equal to any ornamental tarantulas.

let me know about these questions please.. i don't want a simple guess which anybody knows.

thanks for reading.. and i'm ready to listen to your right answers!

see ya! -locke

ps: i will introduce myself to all of you this time a little.
my name is song, deuk bo from korea republic. just call me locke.
it's my nick which has been used for about 10 years.
33 year old male. i worked for 8 years as a programmer and today my occupation is 3d modeler.
i'm very interested in all kinds of animals so i have many experiences of keeping. but these days i like such special creatures! how lovely they are!

Last edited:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
hello, arachnopeons! it's locke.

i've kept tarantulas as many as 30 specieses for about past 3 years.

and these days i'm interested in centipedes.

actually last year i kept a vietnamese giant centipede(Scolopendra subspinipes) and has two haitians now.

i think a centipede is more attractive to me than a tarantula. (it's only my opinion.)

you know that i'm not good at centipedes.

these days i'm very curious about pedes. the reason i've joined this site is for finding good informations for my pedes. i think there are many good pede-keepers here.

i have few questions for this time. please read and answer my questions if you want.

first of all, my two haitian centipedes are very friendly to each other. one is 9 and the other is 9.5cm yet.
i think this is going to lead to trouble in the long run. i would consider it fully experimental keeping two individuals together for anything except for mating attempts. in all likelyhood there are some species or subspecies or localities that produce specimens that are very tolerant toward each other... but typically centipedes are considered conspecific cannibals.

i heard some words about characteristics. one species is possible for keeping with a same(species) centipede in a cage together and the other species is not.

give me a chance to explain my question.

if i have 2 different specieses which are not aggressive to same species and i keep 2 different centipedes into one cage together.. will they recognize each other as a food and hunt fataly for dinner? or as male adult lions... will they fight and try to get each other out of its territory? or finally will they would also be kind to each other? even if not a same size or gender or anything else...
Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans (and only mutilans, not the other common pet trade subspinipes subspecies) can be kept communally to good effect. that is the only commonly accepted communal centipede in the trade right now. like i said, i expect there are other species that can be kept communally, but they are not common knowledge in the hobby yet.

second, i heard the strength of their poisons. well.. i have no experience of keeping such pedes like gigantea or galapagoensis. but somebody told me their poison is terribly stronger than any giant centipedes such as my haitians.

i know most giant centipedes have poison which is more strong than or equal to any ornamental tarantulas.
most giant centipede venom is not that big of a deal. i expect it is similar to the tarantula scenario where most species are mostly harmless, a small percentage can make you uncomfortable, and a very small percentage can make you VERY uncomfortable. i have been bit by around 10-12 species and only two really sucked at all. Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "yellow legs" and Scolopendra morsitans "Tanzanian tiger" both more or less kept me up all night. S. morsitans "egyptian emerald", E. trigonopodus "blue ring legs", S. polymorpha, and some Otostigminae adults have all bitten me with no effect except maybe local painless swelling. Scolopocryptops sp. and S. heros juvs have bit me with no effects (though heros should be pretty crappy to git bit by when it is larger) beyond a little stinging sensation. S. alternans baby has bit me with a little stining sensation.

let me know about these questions please.. i don't want a simple guess which anybody knows.

thanks for reading.. and i'm ready to listen to your right answers!

see ya! -locke

ps: i will introduce myself to all of you this time a little.
my name is song, deuk bo from korea republic. just call me locke.
it's my nick which has been used for about 10 years.
33 year old male. i worked for 8 years as a programmer and today my occupation is 3d modeler.
i'm very interested in all kinds of animals so i have many experiences of keeping. but these days i like such special creatures! how lovely they are!

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think this is going to lead to trouble in the long run. i would consider it fully experimental keeping two individuals together for anything except for mating attempts. in all likelyhood there are some species or subspecies or localities that produce specimens that are very tolerant toward each other... but typically centipedes are considered conspecific cannibals.

Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans (and only mutilans, not the other common pet trade subspinipes subspecies) can be kept communally to good effect. that is the only commonly accepted communal centipede in the trade right now. like i said, i expect there are other species that can be kept communally, but they are not common knowledge in the hobby yet.

most giant centipede venom is not that big of a deal. i expect it is similar to the tarantula scenario where most species are mostly harmless, a small percentage can make you uncomfortable, and a very small percentage can make you VERY uncomfortable. i have been bit by around 10-12 species and only two really sucked at all. Ethmostigmus trigonopodus "yellow legs" and Scolopendra morsitans "Tanzanian tiger" both more or less kept me up all night. S. morsitans "egyptian emerald", E. trigonopodus "blue ring legs", S. polymorpha, and some Otostigminae adults have all bitten me with no effect except maybe local painless swelling. Scolopocryptops sp. and S. heros juvs have bit me with no effects (though heros should be pretty crappy to git bit by when it is larger) beyond a little stinging sensation. S. alternans baby has bit me with a little stining sensation.
thanks a lot, caco. your kind explanation is very helpful to me. i will consider your advice in my brain. -locke

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
hey Locke ! welcome here !
a 3D modeler hey !!! interesting, :)
in what area do you work with 3d ?
construction/engineering or video-animation ?

on the communally keeping of scolopendrids:
as to my experience it's not really a matter of what specie can be kept together, rather individuals, i've done some experiments on communal keeping with succes but also with many deaths.
Just recently 1 of my Sc.subspinipes mutilans went crazy and has attacked the rest of its group, they have been together for about 2 years or maybe even longer and just last month there have been 4 deaths, all attacked or eaten by this one fat individual,

so my advice, it can go well keeping sc.subsp.mutilans (or even other spec.) together for a long time,.. but just keep in mind that some day it can go really wrong as it happened to me recently!
If you want to be sure,... just keep all spec. seperatly. ;)

still very mysterious and interesting creatures these scolopendrids !

PS: which part of Korea are you from exactly ?
and do you have local Scolopendra specie ?
(just out of my head,..)
but isn't Sc.subsp.mutilans also in Korea ?
and have ya ever heard of this spec.:
Scolopendra pentagramma which i've also seen listed as a Korean spec.

Take care,
Cheers
Steven

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
hi, steven!

hi, steven, thanks for your concern!

well.. my field is close to 3d animation.

thanks for telling me about your experience. i will keep them in mind.

today i caught a 4cm "red" centipede at the mountain near my place.
i don't know its scientific name. we just call it 'red centipede' in korean meaning.
no eyes, red coloration, that's it. it's an usual centipede.
you know i keep my 2 haitian centipedes in a cage together. one is 9 and the other is 9.5cm.
i wondered how they would respond to each other. so i got it into the cage where my 2 haitians have lived.
the result was easy. 9cm haitian hunted it and ate it away. -_-;
maybe there are few differences between them for size, form, and so on.
anyway the small 'red' centipede moved over the haitian bodies without being afraid. and my 2 haitians were not surprised at contact of the red centipede.
maybe my haitians thought this small centipede was not same as one of them.
anyway interesting...

i live in seoul. yes. Ss. mutilans also lives here. i read some informations that about 7 species of giant centipedes live in korea here. but mutilans is most popular. here we can get an adult mutilans as cheaper as 13~15 bucks.

as for pentagramma, you know i'm a beginner of keeping a centipede. i didn't hear about that scientific name. sorry...

bistrobob85

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hm, those news about sc.mutilans are kinda scary, mr.Steven... Up to now, all my mutilans are housed together, what a nightmare it would be to loose them all!!!!

Hey Locke :). Welcome in the forum!!!! With you in the hobby, maybe we can learn more about korean scolopendra species, so it's wonderful to have you here!!!! I didnt know that there were seven species of scolopendra in Korea, i'm really impressed... If you ever go out and catch some, please post us some pics and DONT PUT THEM WITH YOUR HAITIANS :p!!!!

phil.

yuanti

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Wish I had been into centipedes and such when i was in Korea years ago. I was in Ulsan, South Korea for over a month ;) Welcome to the boards Locke. =)

Warrior

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Dear Steven

I live in South Korea

Sc.subsp.mutilans' existence

Sc.subsp.mutilans is common in the Korea

Some people are capture S.subspinipes mutilans from wild and sell it

Sc.subsp.mutilans Can catch easily in Korea

Sorry to My English.

Last edited:

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hm, those news about sc.mutilans are kinda scary, mr.Steven... Up to now, all my mutilans are housed together, what a nightmare it would be to loose them all!!!!

Hey Locke :). Welcome in the forum!!!! With you in the hobby, maybe we can learn more about korean scolopendra species, so it's wonderful to have you here!!!! I didnt know that there were seven species of scolopendra in Korea, i'm really impressed... If you ever go out and catch some, please post us some pics and DONT PUT THEM WITH YOUR HAITIANS :p!!!!

phil.
hi, phil.. as warrior said, Ss. mutilans is usually in general here. maybe foreigners including europeans are interested in such species more. but we don't. hehe~ i like S. gigantea. if i had a chance to.. -_-;
ok.. any information or pictures for the giant centipedes which are here in korea. i will post to share with you guys. but i'm not an expert, you know.
anyway, have a nice day..
-locke

syiware

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wish I had been into centipedes and such when i was in Korea years ago. I was in Ulsan, South Korea for over a month ;) Welcome to the boards Locke. =)
hey, dear... have you ever been in ulsan for a couple of months? sounds good. for traveling or something else? i also went to ulsan several years ago. only for driving, not for the pedes. ^^; anyway nice talking to you. thanks for dropping me a line. see ya!

-locke