Question on sphagnum moss

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I was just wondering something, and thought I'd ask (best way to get an answer of course)...

My current setup for my P.Imp consists of about 4-5 inches of organic soil, and it's almost completely covered in sphagnum moss. The only parts that show the soil is around the rock hide and on one side of the log that's in there.

I've been looking at alot of pictures of setups for P.Imps and I've noticed that almost none of them have sphagnum moss or anything of the sort...just the dirt substrate.

So...is the moss a bad idea? Should I get rid of some of it, or all of it? My P.Imp doesn't seem to have a problem with it (although I noticed I have to keep an eye on crickets sometimes...they like to hide in the moss)...and she can still burrow in the substrate.

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions on the use of sphagnum moss would be appreciated.

scorpionguy

Arachnopeon
The only reason I wouldnt want the moss in a setup of my own, is that you will never see the specimens with all those places to hide. otherwise it isnt bad to have in there.

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'll clarify alittle. I have no problem seeing her. She has a burrow under both the rock hide and the log, but she's always out and about at night. She's an active little girl. She's picked at the moss here and there, but has never actually burrowed or hid anywhere other than the provided hides.

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
In my first ever enclosure I had 'moss' my emperor just drug it every where she wanted... totally messed with 'MY' tank :p So I went with cocofiber and tried some plants... which she destroyed. Then I went with nothing but cocofiber.

I see no problem with the 'moss' unless you get upset with them rearranging on occasions. ;)

Rosenkreuz

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I see no problem with the 'moss' unless you get upset with them rearranging on occasions. ;)
I have no problems with it at all. I watch her rearrange all the time. I think she once tried to rearrange the water dish...which is about 2" into the substrate, and weighs about 1lbs...

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I used it with no problems I had 2 different kinds of moss for decoration and the only problem is having the moss turn dirty brown after a while.

looper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my personal opinion is that i wouldnt have it all over the tank i would go half and half thats what i intend to do when i can lay my hands on some moss but if you dont have a problem with it why change it scorps happy your happy because you can still see her.

Bayushi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
one thing thing to take into consideration about having alot of moss, is the crickets/roaches/whatever will use it to hide from the scorp, making it harder for the scorp to hunt

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

mine are all moss. i find it clean using moss instead of soil or coco peat. {D
i didn't see any issues using moss.