question on set up/s

red fury

Arachnopeon
hey all, i just bought 3 emp scorps today, first ones ever for me... at the moment, i have them all together in a 10 gal terrarium, 3 hides, a water dish, and a water bowl. i have anywhere from 3-5 inches of substrate (3 on the warm side, 5 on the cool). the cool side has 2 of the hides, the warm has 1 and a 3x5 mat of moss. water dish is in the middle.... there is a bit of room for them to borrow.... the only thing is, the 10 gal tank has a fitting lid... i have a 20 gal which isnt being used atm, but it only has an aquarium lid. should i switch them into the 20 gal so they have more room? any advice would be great. thanks.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
hey all, i just bought 3 emp scorps today, first ones ever for me... at the moment, i have them all together in a 10 gal terrarium, 3 hides, a water dish, and a water bowl. i have anywhere from 3-5 inches of substrate (3 on the warm side, 5 on the cool). the cool side has 2 of the hides, the warm has 1 and a 3x5 mat of moss. water dish is in the middle.... there is a bit of room for them to borrow.... the only thing is, the 10 gal tank has a fitting lid... i have a 20 gal which isnt being used atm, but it only has an aquarium lid. should i switch them into the 20 gal so they have more room? any advice would be great. thanks.
Well, if the 'aquarium lid' does not fit very well, then I would not recommend using it or use the tank and get a tighter-fitting lid when you can. Otherwise, the setup sounds excellent.;):D

red fury

Arachnopeon
sorry could you dumb it down for me? the 10 gal seems kind of crowded, i think the 20 gal would work better. i plan on making a custom lid for it, but the aquarium lid only covers 1/2 the 20 gal tank, where as the 10 gal has a fully covered mesh screen lid..... are you saying i could use the bigger tank without the lid for the moment? or should i stick with the smaller tank for now until i have a lid made for the 20?

sorry for being such a noob

Roblicious

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
just get a 10 gal mesh lid, you can sit a lamp right on it and it will be fine.

10 gal is small for 3, its 1 per 5 gallon. But you can pull it off if you have enough hides.

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As for a custom lid, I use a piece of glass with one hole (3mm) drilled in the center, and this has been working quite well for 3 years. (Currently keep a small group of juveniles). That's a 9.9 gallon tank. With 20 you might want to have 2-3 holes.

red fury

Arachnopeon
thanks for the help, I switched them into the 20 gal last night, little bit more room for them, taller so I wont have the crickets get out.... I used the aquarium lid I got with the tank for the moment, and double taped 90% of the gaps that were used for the filter, heater etc.. created a false bottom using plastic plant trays and abs piping.... oh and 1/2 a Kieth's beer can (as I cant find any place that sells gravel until the summer) pics on that I'll post after work... going to have to wait for payday before I can buy some plastic for a custom lid that actually looks better/works better.
On a side note, I am using a small dome heat lamp with a 50 W bulb, for the 20 gal, should I step it up to a 75 W? (I have a few spare one around for my snakes....)

Oh, as an update, I found out that 2 of the 3 are females, one might have been recently knocked up by the one male I have, and the other might have been gravid when I bought her.... :) here's to hoping

red fury

Arachnopeon
here's a link to my pics... did this hastily so there are also pics of a couple of my snakes in there as well....

http://s1122.photobucket.com/albums/l528/iHewitt/