Question on Luna Moths Care/Release

reneedventures

Arachnopeon
I am considering purchasing a Luna Moth care kit, and raising Luna Moths to be released. I would like them to continue breeding once they are released to establish them around my home. Is this possible in south Florida? We have many varieties of butterflies year-round but I would like to know if the Luna Moths will thrive in this environment.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Luna Moths are already present in Florida, so they should do fine in your climate as long as the appropriate food plants are available (hardwoods like white birch, hickory, liquidambar, walnut, sumac, etc.) Their range extends south as far as Central Florida and along the Gulf Coast. If they are not already found in your area, though, it is generally not a good idea to release them - even if they would do well there. There is always the risk of introducing an invasive species that will out-compete the locals or cause other damage to agriculture or to the environment. Because of its lush, sub-tropical climate, Florida has more problems with introduced species (such as pythons!) than most parts of the U.S.

Last edited:

InvertsandOi

Arachnoknight
When introducing captive breds into the wild there's a risk of introducing disease into the wild population. I don't know how large this risk is, but apparently it's large enough to compel Xerxes society to advise against it. If you're going to release them, be on the lookout for any diseases.

NathanJBoob

Arachnosquire
If you go ahead with this you should make sure you obtain luna stock from an area as close to you as possible. Luna larvae have food plant preferences based on what their parents fed on as larvae. Luna from the far northern parts of their range feed almost exclusively on White Birch which isn't native to Florida. Their larvae will probably refuse any of the Southern populations food choices like Sweet Gum and Persimmion. I'd be more concerned about this than spreading diseases.