Question on handling...

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
I know many of you don't handle at all...so my question may be for the others!
For those of you with experience with A. geniculata...do you handle this species?
I'm reading a LOT of mixed things about it. It burrows, it doesn't. (Mine builds walls.) It's aggressive, it's not...etc. Not sure what to believe so I thought I'd ask y'all!

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
I think all of the above can and do apply to A. geniculata. The specimen I have here goes the whole range. If you decide to do this, I'd reccomend a few things.. one, be aware you're probably going to itch when you're done. Two, test the temperament out before your hands go near it. I've found the one I have is quite jumpy at first, but after being nudged two or three times, she gives up and allows herself to be guided with the paintbrush/handling stick. Try something easier first, would be my reccomendation, but these are far from impossible.

Bill

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Thanks for the info. Mine is only about an inch at the moment, but I understand it won't be long before she's big!

pategirl

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My genic doesn't mind handling too much, but she flicks the most awful hairs on the planet, IMO. She makes me itch.

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by Inktomi
I know many of you don't handle at all...so my question may be for the others!
For those of you with experience with A. geniculata...do you handle this species?
I'm reading a LOT of mixed things about it. It burrows, it doesn't. (Mine builds walls.) It's aggressive, it's not...etc. Not sure what to believe so I thought I'd ask y'all!
Yes, I handle these. They can be a little skittish IME, but I've never had one try to bite or even urticate. Still, I would caution that with this species even more than most, you don't want to be too tentative in your approach. They have such a strong feeding response that their impulse would be to pounce on anything they suspected they might be able to "take." This wouldn't necessarily mean a bite, but it might mean they would grab your finger to try it out, so to speak, and unless your nerves are very steady this might be disastrous to you and/or the tarantula.

Joy

Last edited:

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
ooo some gorgeous A. Geni pics people! cant wait till mine gets that big. Mines about 2.5 inchs now and she only comes out when she wants too, if i open her pet pal and she stays in sight, she wants to come out, if i open the pet pal and she rushes in her hide she doesnt :D . Shes shown no aggresion towards me whats soever, but they can be very skittish and most of the time she doesnt walk....she bolts lol mine is VERY fast when handling, i gotta be very careful cause shes so fast.

anyway thats mine shes really dosile but just a tiiiny bit hyper when out :rolleyes:

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah mine's a bit nippy too Grael. When she came to me she had the BIGGEST bald patch ever, but since she's moulted there's no sign of one. I guess I must annoy her a lot less than the breeder :) I've seen absolutely no sign of aggression from her, not even a hair flick. She just tears around her tank when I open it. I've not plucked up the courage to hold her yet because she's so quick. One day soon I may take her tank down into the lounge and get her out though, because at least if she legs it, I can get her back pretty easy.

I wasn't going to try and hold her... but after reading several people's posts about sucessfully holding A. genics, I'm happier that she can be handled.

Grael

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lostkat
Yeah mine's a bit nippy too Grael. When she came to me she had the BIGGEST bald patch ever, but since she's moulted there's no sign of one. I guess I must annoy her a lot less than the breeder :) I've seen absolutely no sign of aggression from her, not even a hair flick. She just tears around her tank when I open it. I've not plucked up the courage to hold her yet because she's so quick. One day soon I may take her tank down into the lounge and get her out though, because at least if she legs it, I can get her back pretty easy.

I wasn't going to try and hold her... but after reading several people's posts about sucessfully holding A. genics, I'm happier that she can be handled.
the only thing i seriously advise is watch your breath!when i first got her out, i didnt notice i breathed on her and she bolted :rolleyes: other then that she was fine.....almost lost her behind the sofa when i let her go for a walk while i took pics, but other then shes totally dosile and no sign of aaggresion whatsoever....she loves me ^_^

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well knowing if a spider loves you or not could be argued ( =D ),but at ANY rate, i FULLY agree with you on the breathing thing...

they're really great spiders, and i've handled a few of mine, but only after my little checklist:

1) in the cage, are they nervous and jumpy or just runny?
2) if they're just jumpy, try the paintbrush
3) if they calm down after 2 or 3 brushes, time for the kill (re: pick up)
4) once in hand, keep head NOT facing the T, so you don't breathe on it -- thats the ONE thing (as Grael) stated that can make them bolt more than anything....
5) keep a steady hand, and they're easy...

I do it in my T room, which is basically a room with nothing in it but a table -- its all plugged up around the bottom with wood siding, so even if the T bolts, it can't go anywhere but a wall... cos those things FLY!!!!

and the appetite?!!! holy damn :) even from a sling these guys are voracious!

peace,
dave
(remember: No BREATHING on the T! It'll spook em more than ANYTHING!)

Lostkat

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I figured out the breathing thing with mine a few days after I got my little B. emilia (my first T). I was taking some pics of her and she bolted.. I realised it was because of me breathing on her. I always make a conserved effort NOT to breathe on my babies when handling them now.

Hmmm... my A. genic is in a hidey mood at the moment and has been for a couple of days. I might get her out tomorrow if I can work up the courage :)

D-Man

Arachnochicano
Old Timer
Beautiful spider!

Originally posted by Joy
Yes, I handle these. They can be a little skittish IME, but I've never had one try to bite or even urticate. Still, I would caution that with this species even more than most, you don't want to be too tentative in your approach. They have such a strong feeding response that their impulse would be to pounce on anything they suspected they might be able to "take." This wouldn't necessarily mean a bite, but it might mean they would grab your finger to try it out, so to speak, and unless your nerves are very steady this might be disastrous to you and/or the tarantula.

Joy
Nice healthy spider, Joy! Looks fat and happy.

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Whenever I really want to hold one of them, I just keep going at it until it gives up and just let me hold it.