Question about Tarantula Barricade...

hcsk8ter

Arachnopeon
Hi,
New here. Love this forum. I'm actually addicted to it. Both my female B.Vagans and G. Aureostriata 1.5" have done this:

Ok on to the question:
1. Why have they barricaded themselves in under the cut solo cup I made? Do I have bad breath? Did I do something wrong? I put two crickets each in both of their tupperwares. I did see B. Vagans last night and she's had a bald booty for some time.
2. Did she climb in there to molt?
3. Should I be afraid if they are under there for an extended period of time?
4. I filled the substrate up about 3/4 of the way to the top. I've heard of people using very short containers will little substrate so they can always see their pets without the risk of falling. Is this a possibility?
Thanks in advance.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Was her "booty" black or tan. If it was black, she's going to molt. If it was tan, she wants to be left alone.

spid142

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
black

If her butt is black, she's growing the new exoskeleton and will molt soon. Thats probably why she went hiding.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They barricade themselves into their homes for different reasons. Sometimes it is because a molt is approaching and they want some place secure and other times it is a holed up by day prowling by night sort of deal. You may go weeks or months without seeing a spider and only seeing a food bolus here or a dropped cricket leg there. Just let them be and unless things start to smell it is probably all right.

Cirith Ungol

Ministry of Fluffy Bunnies
Old Timer
If it's black then pick the crix out of there. They're crazy enough to go after the T once it's all newly moulted and weak.

What's that substrate?