Question About Substrate Moistness

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I have my G. Pulchra 1 1/4'' spiderling in a small Kritterkeeper with 3-4 inches of Jungle Mix. When I started out 2 weeks ago, I kept it very moist, but over the last several days I've let it dry out a little. The top dried out first. I noticed that yesterday the T had burrowed down about 3/4 of an inch until it hit the line of dark moist soil. As the soil has dried out more, it has burrowed even deeper, and started moving the soil around more. I still squirt water on the edge of the keeper and on a particular spot in the substrate.

My question is, does this behavior indicate that drier soil (compared to before) is a better environment for the G. Pulchra?

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
With a sling that size you never want to let the substrate dry out. It is the one thing that is guaranteed to kill your pet sling. With my slings I keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy. I check it a couple of times a week, just to be safe.

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Spiderlings should be kept moist but not wet. Your T is not going to burrow if he feels like his basement is going to flood. Conversely, he may burrow deeper to find more humid conditions. So, he may be burrowing because he wants it wetter, or he may be burrowing because he just wants a hole but he stops when it gets too wet to suit him.

Just don't overdo the wetness and let your sling decide where it wants to be in the dry to moist range.

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The dry on top, moist below arrangement is probably ideal for many species. As Code Monkey says, it's probably just burrowing to it's preffered situation.

A good "rule of thumb" for spiderling moisture is the substrate should be moist, but if you can actually squeeze water droplets from it, it's TOO wet. Once your G. pulchra is a bit bigger, say 2-3", you could start offering a small water dish and allowing it to get drier in the cage.

Wade

Tranz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The interesting thing is that I moisten one side of the keeper more than the other, and it stays on the less-moist side, and has started to burrow there.