Question about Scorpion heat requirements and moisture

ChileanRosehair

Arachnopeon
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and have recently gotten into the hobby of keeping exotic pets. So far I got myself a Chilean rose hair tarantula and I'm thinking about maybe getting a scorpion next. I've done some research on them but there's a few things that I haven't found a satisfying answer too yet.
1) Which Scorpion species would you say have the least heat requirements?

2) Which Scorpion is the easiest one to take care of? I heard good things about the emperor scorpion, but could you guys maybe recomend a species besides that one?

Thanks.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know which one requires the least heat, but a better question may be: what temperature are you planning on keeping it at?

In my opinion most are pretty easy to take care of, with the main difference being humidity levels. If you want another common beginner species, go for the desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis although I don't know what you have in Sweden) or look at any scorpions being sold in your area and research on them.

ChileanRosehair

Arachnopeon
I don't know which one requires the least heat, but a better question may be: what temperature are you planning on keeping it at?

In my opinion most are pretty easy to take care of, with the main difference being humidity levels. If you want another common beginner species, go for the desert hairy scorpion (Hadrurus arizonensis although I don't know what you have in Sweden) or look at any scorpions being sold in your area and research on them.
Thanks for the reply. I keep my tarantula and my leopard gecko in room temparture. Which is ca 23-24 degress celcius. I'm not to big on the fahrenheit system but it's about 85-87 f and my animals seems healthy and well in that temparture.

The desert hairy scorpion looks like a really neat Scorpion. You think it would be content with these tempartures? I can probably get it a few degrees up if I must. Maybe placing it's cage by my radiator. Or if I have to. I can just get some extra heatlamps.

Selket

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
24 C is a good temp for the desert hairy or an emperor (pandinus imperator). I think that 24 C should be an adequate temperature for pretty much any scorp. Like what H loaticus said see what is available and do some research on those scorps and you should find out pretty easily if that temperature is fine for them.

I would suggest not putting the scorpion on the radiator since they burrow to escape the heat, and you could potentially cook the scorpion.

ChileanRosehair

Arachnopeon
24 C is a good temp for the desert hairy or an emperor (pandinus imperator). I think that 24 C should be an adequate temperature for pretty much any scorp. Like what H loaticus said see what is available and do some research on those scorps and you should find out pretty easily if that temperature is fine for them.

I would suggest not putting the scorpion on the radiator since they burrow to escape the heat, and you could potentially cook the scorpion.
Ok. Thanks for the information. I'll continue to do some research on the matter. p.s I may have been a little unclear in my earlier post. I never meant to put the Scorpions container on the radiator. I was planning putting it on a little shelf right next to it. Just like I did with my tarantula. Then it'll be easy to find the right temp and give it both a hot and a cooler side.:)

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
Look whats available in your area and go from there as others have said. No point in spending big bucks off the get go.

I would take caution to avoid medically significant species until your used to handling substrate changes with a "non-dangerous" species.

Welcome to you new addiction.
Bammer

ChileanRosehair

Arachnopeon
After giving it some thought I decided that the P.imperator is going to be my first scorpion. It's the most readily available scorpion around here.