question about P. murinus

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i've only been keeping T's for about a month now so almost everything my new critters do is new to me . my P. murinus had built a pretty nice little web(IMHO) and seemed to be doing well . it ate every cricket i threw into it's encloser with much enthuseism . now, in the last 2 days it has torn down it's web(kind of just flattened it out where it is) and burrowed underneath it . here are some before and after pics .

before

and how it looks now

my question is , is this normal or should i be worried about my new critter .

thanks for any help or info .

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No worries ! My OBT did exactly the same , they go through phases.
It may be pre-moult or not, mine has been semi-underground for about 3 months. He comes out in the night, strolls the perimeter, uses the web/peat combo as a kind of duvet. It's amazing how quick he ' disappears' into his kip den.
:D

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thank you . so should i continue to offer it crickets once a week or should i wait till it comes out again ?

i think i need to get me an arboreal T since all three of the ones i have now have gone underground . not that i mind , but it would be nice to have one that is more visible most of the time .

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thank you . so should i continue to offer it crickets once a week or should i wait till it comes out again ?

i think i need to get me an arboreal T since all three of the ones i have now have gone underground . not that i mind , but it would be nice to have one that is more visible most of the time .
Offer one cricket and if it doesnt disappear by the same time tomorrow take it out and wait a week

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Just leave it alone. They are not in the habit of diggin their own grave. He might be settling down there to molt. Just keep an eye out. Next time you see him he will ither want to eat, or be sporting a brand new bigger body.

SpiderZone2

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Some will go under ground for a long time. Mine had done that and I just tried to keep track of when I thought perhaps it was in pre molt or not. I only feed them once a week. Make sure they have water to drink. If they are too small a nice mist will do as nicely. I had not seen mine OBT in over 6 months. But it had molted cause it would push the molt out of it's underground hole. I always made sure it had water and when I knew it molted I would wait 2 weeks and through in 2 to 3 crickets. I had never had a problem with it. Only when It matured out and I was going to take it out. A nice nasty male he was. I never found out if the breeding went well or not. I lent him out. The person I lent him to is a trusted breeder and is very busy.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Mine makes an "above ground" lair, and then in one night it burrows into the substrate to become a pet hole. Just like yours did. It is perfectly normal and natural, just let them do what they do. They know what they are doing, we can only watch and..:?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I don't own an OBT, but i just have to say congragulations! They're very kewl, and one or more of them are in my future. :) enjoy em!

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have my OBT in half of a ten gallon tank he has a water dish in there and he also has the brown paper towel holder in there...after i put that paper towel holder in there he has only come out once in the last two weeks. that tells me that he feel super secure and as long as as a few crickets disappear each week I'm as happy as my OBT is.

I'll take pictures but all you gonna see is what looks like an empty tank lol..

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't own an OBT, but i just have to say congragulations! They're very kewl, and one or more of them are in my future. :) enjoy em!

There are plenty being sold all the time, you should jump on some. Buy a female for like $30 max along with a couple of slings. The female so you have a beautiful upset female, and the slings so you can watch them grow up.

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well, i'm in 8th grade, and my folks aren't too keen on me having 2, already. i'm talking them into a nhandu chromatus sling, but it's kinda an uphill battle. my dream is to be one of those guys with a wall full of stacked cages of spiddys. {D

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
well, i'm in 8th grade, and my folks aren't too keen on me having 2, already. i'm talking them into a nhandu chromatus sling, but it's kinda an uphill battle. my dream is to be one of those guys with a wall full of stacked cages of spiddys. {D

Aw, still under the parent's rule? Me too, but they love it when I bring home new Ts. My mom especially. She even asks me questions all the time.

Ha, isn't that everyones dream? Well, for the people that visit this form atleast.

Oh ya, you posted the new thread about the new G.rosea, congrats again. I already posted there.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks yall . i was worried about my critter and i feel much less worried now . i'll lightly mist its ecloser and let it be . thanks again .

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
thanks yall . i was worried about my critter and i feel much less worried now . i'll lightly mist its ecloser and let it be . thanks again .
No need to mist, they like it really dry.

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
No need to mist, they like it really dry.

ok , i miss read one post i thought they said a light mist is good , but they said a light mist is good if to small for a water bowl . thanks again .

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok , this morning i got up and checked on my P.murinus and found i now have a new problem . there are butt loads of pinhead crickets in its enclosure . i'm at a loss of what to do now . i dont want to disturb my T but i dont want to take a chance on these pinheads doing some kind of damage to it either .

btw , i know they are pinheads and not some other kind of pest as there were dozens of them drowned in the water bowl and i used a magnifying glass to examine them . any help would be greatly appreciated as now i'm real worried .

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
ok , this morning i got up and checked on my P.murinus and found i now have a new problem . there are butt loads of pinhead crickets in its enclosure . i'm at a loss of what to do now . i dont want to disturb my T but i dont want to take a chance on these pinheads doing some kind of damage to it either .

btw , i know they are pinheads and not some other kind of pest as there were dozens of them drowned in the water bowl and i used a magnifying glass to examine them . any help would be greatly appreciated as now i'm real worried .
I have this problem also in my curly hair enclosure but i was told they won't harm your T at all so if its not in te process of molting there shouldn't really be an issue.. i think the real issues are termites and ants...let's see what everyone else says...

markface

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have this problem also in my curly hair enclosure but i was told they won't harm your T at all so if its not in te process of molting there shouldn't really be an issue.. i think the real issues are termites and ants...let's see what everyone else says...
the problem is that the T might be getting ready to molt . i dont know for sure , but a friend came over last night and told me that he thinks that is why my T has burried itself . also a couple people here and on another forum also said that may be the reason the T has dug in so to speak .