Question about molting

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I hope this has not been asked before, but what are the signs of a scorpion about to molt? I know they may not move for a few hours to a whole day, but they don't move around too much anyway:D. Is there some specific sign for scorpions or a particular species?

Thanks for any help.:)

BAM1082

Arachnoknight
I maybe wrong here, and I have no idea of the correct terms to use.

But a general spacing between the "plates" that make up the mid-section of the scorpion.
Like its stretching, sometimes kinnda looks like its going to explode.
I have a Tityus magnimanus female molting right now.
Just tried to get a picture... horrible angle. :mad:

Heres one: thread a few days ago.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=201645

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Base from my OWN experience.

Use your forceps try to touch your scorpion using your forceps if the scorpion starts to move its metasoma in a circular motion it will molt within the week and when you see it flicking its metasoma segment it will molt in a day or two. Again this is base from my own observation. This may not be similar to others but this is from my own experience.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
This method works for Rhopalurus species. Try it.
I do have Rhopalurus junceus, but they don't seem like they are about to molt. HOWEVER, interestingly enough, one of my two Tityus bastosi moves its tail in a circular motion/flicking motion when I touch it with the soft part of a small paint brush. Can you explain that?

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I do have Rhopalurus junceus, but they don't seem like they are about to molt. HOWEVER, interestingly enough, one of my two Tityus bastosi moves its tail in a circular motion/flicking motion when I touch it with the soft part of a small paint brush. Can you explain that?

Tail wagging is often a warning sign. Their saying stay away from me I can sting you. My adult tityus do the same thing and they wont molt again.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Tail wagging is often a warning sign. Their saying stay away from me I can sting you. My adult tityus do the same thing and they wont molt again.
Good help John, thanks! It sometimes seems like a warning sign, it is just odd.
That will be useful for the future!:)

Vixvy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yes indeed its a warning sign. It might be a sign that they want us to stay away or molting or their body hurts when we touch them etc........

megabytex3

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as i have experience...my scorpions stops eating when they are about to molt, their color starts to be pale and their body is some what bloated as if they have eaten a lot. when this happens mist your scorpion more often than before to avoid bad molts. and you really don't want your pet to have bad molts.:D

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
as i have experience...my scorpions stops eating when they are about to molt, their color starts to be pale and their body is some what bloated as if they have eaten a lot. when this happens mist your scorpion more often than before to avoid bad molts. and you really don't want your pet to have bad molts.:D
That is very specific, thanks.:)

I know to be careful when they are about to molt: not to disturb them and keep the humidity higher than usual.