Question about lizard cohabitation

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has anyone ever kept different species of lizard together? I assume people do this with geckos but I'm specifically thinking about putting a Bearded Dragon and a Uromastyx together. They are close to the same size but the Beardie is growing a lot faster. I'm certain that the Beardie is a male and I'm fairly certain the Uro is also a male. If there is plenty of room for both of them in the tank, would this be safe to do? Would it be risky to put them together?

-Kelly

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
I have a friend that keeps her beardies with her uros. I thought Uros needed higher temps...*shrug*
Michelle

Lycanthrope

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I think you may run into problems, especially w/ them both being male.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely NOT a good idea......if you know anything about the care of the 2 animals, they differ a bit....Uros need temps that would kill a Beardie. Both are somewhat hardy species, so some people may have relative success, but this does not mean its the best situation for the animals to be in. House them properly (seperately)......if you don't have the $ or the room for 2 cages, don't get 2 animals. :D

kellygirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by DavidBeard
Definitely NOT a good idea......if you know anything about the care of the 2 animals, they differ a bit....Uros need temps that would kill a Beardie. Both are somewhat hardy species, so some people may have relative success, but this does not mean its the best situation for the animals to be in. House them properly (seperately)......if you don't have the $ or the room for 2 cages, don't get 2 animals. :D

I found your post to be somewhat condescending, even though you put a little smiley at the end. You don't have to be rude. But thank you anyhow for the advice.

And thanks to the rest of you as well. I had a feeling it might be risky but I have seen it at local pet shops and didn't know if it was a regular practice.

-Kelly

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I apologize if I came off as a smarta$$....that was not my intention, lol. After I read my post, I see where you might get that impression....sorry again.

And petshops are probably the worst examples of proper husbandry.....there are some good ones out there, but they are definitely the exception and not the rule.