question about gluing corkbark to your enclosure

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i finished my tank for the c.exilicauda i will be getting in a couple of days, and i glued some corkbark to the sides, but now that i am looking at it, a lot of glue is not covered by the cork bark. will it cause any problems if the scorpions walk over it or anything?

here's a pic

Attachments

chau0046

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
As far as problems go it should be fine as long as it is allowed to air out, I would put a little more glue on top of that and stick some decoration moss to it. It will totally cover it up and give it a more natural appearence!

Mat

Nice looking tank,,,,Youre gonna have some real smiley
C. exillcauda`s!!!.

Mine aren`t that often on the bark , though, I find them on the surface more than anything. But my C. gracilis are barely ever touching the soil of their tanks.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Depends on the type of glue. I would recommend using silicone and letting it cure well before putting the scorp in the enclosure. If the enclosure is mad of glass it make for easy cleanup or decoration changes at it peels of relatively easily.

John
];')

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the stuff i used is supposed silicone, at least thats what my neighbor said. it was in those big tubes that you put on a "gun" that you use to like caulk things with.

i glued all the bark on on sunday morning, and i wont be getting the scorpions until thursday, so i'm hoping that its enough time to air out.

unless you guys really think i should take it off and try silicone that i would get at like a pet store or something for aquariums.

and i like that idea of gluing moss over it. :)

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh and here is the full tank, any opinions on it? it seems like there is something missing to me and i cant think of what i coudl add to finish it.

the bark on the far right is glued to the side, and there is room for the scorps to hide there. the big piece in the center is one of thsoe full circle hallowed log cork bark things (or whtaever they are called haha) and ther are a couple other places to hide. and the wtaer dish is under the piece of wood on the ground in the center.

Attachments

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
It appears as though you have used tile caulk or something of the sort, which shouldn't cause any adverse effects either. If you are concerned, you can acquire aquarium sealant (clear silicon sealant) at almost any place that sells aquariums. I'd give any of it two to three days to make absolute sure it is completely aired out well. Make sure the area it is curing in is ventilated well because it will have a faster cure time for any of the adhesives. Most scorpions are well comforted if they are not overcrouded by "stuff" in their enclosures. They also like lots of places to hide, as you already know, but I'd leave it just like it is, for your own viewing purposes to be included in the fun.

adios,
edw.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by XOskeletonRED
It appears as though you have used tile caulk or something of the sort, which shouldn't cause any adverse effects either. If you are concerned, you can acquire aquarium sealant (clear silicon sealant) at almost any place that sells aquariums. I'd give any of it two to three days to make absolute sure it is completely aired out well. Make sure the area it is curing in is ventilated well because it will have a faster cure time for any of the adhesives. Most scorpions are well comforted if they are not overcrouded by "stuff" in their enclosures. They also like lots of places to hide, as you already know, but I'd leave it just like it is, for your own viewing purposes to be included in the fun.

adios,
edw.
I'd have to say aquarium sealant might be a poor choice. The stuff is really rubbery, and not exactly intended for gluing purposes. I'd go with plain old white hot glue sticks, myself. Just make sure you wash and DRY the area well beforehand, and you should have no problems.

Bill

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
alright thanks guys.

it willl have been aired out for almost 5 days before the scorps go in, and at least one full day i had a fan blowing into the tank, so it should be good.

and to cover up that glue i jsut took same sand and poured it over it. it covered it up pretty good.

now i just have to wait 2 more days until the scorps get here :rolleyes:

XOskeletonRED

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Originally posted by conipto
I'd have to say aquarium sealant might be a poor choice. The stuff is really rubbery, and not exactly intended for gluing purposes. I'd go with plain old white hot glue sticks, myself. Just make sure you wash and DRY the area well beforehand, and you should have no problems.

Bill

Well, interesting enough. I've never had any problems with it as long as the glass was slightly scuffed and cleaned before application as well as the surfaces being dry. Given, it's no windshield adhesive, but it still holds to fifteen lbs of force for the average brand I have used and tested. I do a lot of automotive windshield and glass repair while at work and I find the more harsh adhesives to be much more difficult to maintain because of the uneasy removal during repair, etc. I prefer rearranging enclosures as often as I completely clear them, which isn't very often, but I still like it to go fast.

adios,
edw. ;)