Question about GBB

Trey

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ok, I just can't leave well enough alone. I was looking at my tank with my GBB and I thought it would be a cool idea to make her hide like a burrow and cover the top up with substrate. Well I put the idea in the back of my mind until I was reading on the boards and I saw a post than said something about them burrowing. Will the burrow if given the chance?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
one of my males spent a molt or two firmly convinced he was a burrower. i never saw it unless he came out... which was just about never. a molt or two later and it was back ontop of the substrate

oh, and for like, reference or whatever... virtually NO tarantula just hangs out in the open, by "choice". all the "show spider" brachy and aphono are obligate burrowers in nature... they just don't die when they are denied the chance to burrow

becca81

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've found this species to be opportunistic in captivity and will quickly create a webbed retreat. Give it some substrate and cork bark and it'll be fine.

CodeJACK

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I went to alot of hastle to make a burrow for my GBB and the git never used it. I had a grameliad(cant spell) plant in there too and it webbed itself a little tunel around the base of the plant, using it for support. worked out really nice and it looks so much better than a burrow.

Its been three moults since doing this and still going strong but the plant has now died and looks a bit nasty so will have to create a new setup for it soon.

CodeJACK