Question about bird eaters

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
The term " Bird Eater " originates from Victorian times when a very large tarantula was photographed taking new born chicks from their nest.
They don't actively hunt birds.
it wasnt even very large ts, it was an Avic. My understanding was that the pic was staged for dramatic effect.
Are you both talking about this? I'm not aware of any photographs taken in the late 19th century of an Avicularia species eating a bird.

Scroll down to near the bottom of this web page.

Jennifer41

Arachnopeon
they are the noisiest birds and pet exotics of all exotics! The suns are the prettiest but man they are 2 yr olds with wings!!
While conures are noisy, they're not the noisiest of birds. That goes to macaws and cockatoos. They make conures look mute. That is something I actually can attest to.

cold blood

Staff member

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
it wasnt even very large ts, it was an Avic. My understanding was that the pic was staged for dramatic effect.
Yea that is correct an avic ! The Goliath bird eater of the trees .. :rofl: :rofl:
the original I think and a modern pic I found . 1C457BC3-3E59-4302-8FED-4E912024EA6C.jpeg F6767A11-2F5E-42F2-95C7-D096D825B427.jpeg

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Yea that is correct an avic ! The Goliath bird eater of the trees .. :rofl: :rofl:
the original I think and a modern pic I found . View attachment 445851 View attachment 445852
None of the pictures or the web page attachment are the one I referring to.

I'll see if I can dig it out, it was one issue in a series of about 50 - "Encyclopaedia of animals of the world," if I remember. It's buried deep amongst my collection of older publications.