Question about bird eaters

Jennifer41

Arachnopeon
First off I need it to be known that I have almost zero knowledge about spiders. I'm asking this question because a friend wants me to take care of her bird eating spider while she's on vacation. I have a bird. Do I have anything to be concerned about if it gets out of its cage? Would it attack and possibly kill my bird? Like I said, I know nothing about spiders.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
It isn't gonna chase down your bird, but if it's close enough, maybe. Keep it in the enclosure. They call it that because it's big, not for its bird hunting prowess, but still keep it away from all other animals completely. Edit: have her safely show you how to give it water, and food if necessary, without risking it getting out before she leaves ;)

Jennifer41

Arachnopeon
Thank you! That is such a relief. I plan on keeping it doubly enclosed while it's here. I have a tank with a heavy duty lid seal on it. I'm going to put her tank inside it, and it's in a room that my bird won't be able to get to unless she's with me. I'm just really glad that the spider won't begin salivating if/when it sees my bird.

jbooth

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
Make sure it still has ventilation, don't go overboard. separate room should be fine.

cold blood

Staff member
The term birdeater simply means a terrestrial that gets over 5"....its quite misleading as it has nothing to do with actual birds.

So no, it wont seek out and hunt down birds...lol. You could literally house it right next to your birdcage...in fact, the bird would probably be more likely to kill and eat the spider unless it is a very small bird and the t is huge.....even then, its of absolutely no concern...tarantulas lack the thumbs to be able to escape an enclosure unless you leave it open.

Ultum4Spiderz

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter
Spiders can’t see well enough for it to know you have a bird , it’s no threat kept in its cage . Watering and feeding is easy . Most birds are larger than tarantulas lol it’s just an old nickname. :rofl:

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Thank you! That is such a relief. I plan on keeping it doubly enclosed while it's here. I have a tank with a heavy duty lid seal on it. I'm going to put her tank inside it, and it's in a room that my bird won't be able to get to unless she's with me. I'm just really glad that the spider won't begin salivating if/when it sees my bird.
The term " Bird Eater " originates from Victorian times when a very large tarantula was photographed taking new born chicks from their nest.
They don't actively hunt birds.

CrazyOrnithoctonineGuy

Arachnoknight
Unless it's a big spider and a small bird (something like a finch), the spider isn't going to be able to eat the bird, and even if the spider was that big, it's going to stay in its enclosure anyways....

In fact, the bird would probably be more likely to kill and eat the spider unless it is a very small bird and the t is huge
Given that the most commonly kept pet birds aren't insectivorous, that isn't really more likely....

Jennifer41

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone. I was just scared of losing my baby bird. If anyone is curious, she's a conure. They're midway in size between a parakeet and a cockatiel.

Isaax Critterz

Arachnoknight
They rarely eat birds. Leave it alone while its at you're house. Look up its care/husbandry before attempting to watch over.

cold blood

Staff member
The term " Bird Eater " originates from Victorian times when a very large tarantula was photographed taking new born chicks from their nest.
They don't actively hunt birds.
it wasnt even very large ts, it was an Avic. My understanding was that the pic was staged for dramatic effect.

aprilmayjunebugs

Fiery but Mostly Peaceful
Arachnosupporter
The more important question is what type of "bird eater" is it and how long will you be caring for it? Because some of them have more stringent moisture requirements than others.

Jennifer41

Arachnopeon
The more important question is what type of "bird eater" is it and how long will you be caring for it? Because some of them have more stringent moisture requirements than others.
Goliath if I remember correctly. I honestly didn't know there were more than one type of bird eater.

kingshockey

Arachnoangel
hopefully babysitting this tarantula for your friend infects you with the incurable infection of keeping tarantulas :rofl:

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Goliath if I remember correctly. I honestly didn't know there were more than one type of bird eater.
So that's going to be one of the three Theraphosa. Most likely stirmi, could be blondi or apophysis. All of that genus require moisture in the substrate at all times, so depending on how long you will have it that is something you will have to be prepared to deal with.
There are many types referred to as bird eaters, I have a Lasiodora parahybana, common name Salmon Pink bird eater, he's fine with moist or dry. So the genus matters.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Salient. Ignore the silly tabloid name. The major concern is the health and care of the spider which can vary greatly depending on species.

Ideally if you can get a clear overhead picture of the entire spider and post it there are plenty of people here quite willing to properly identify and guide you, covering all the bases for keeping it healthy.

aprilmayjunebugs

Arachnosupporter
Salient. Ignore the silly tabloid name. The major concern is the health and care of the spider which can vary greatly depending on species.

Ideally if you can get a clear overhead picture of the entire spider and post it there are plenty of people here quite willing to properly identify and guide you, covering all the bases for keeping it healthy.
The OP stated Goliath, which if I'm not mistaken, indicates the genus Theraphosa. They also said they know nothing about spiders at all, and only need to know how to care for it for a short time.
I would also like to see it, and it's current environment to know if there is more we could advise the op or the owner on, but that is up to them if they want/need that information. If the op wants to learn more about tarantulas in general, this babysitting experience plus the info they receive here is a great jumping off point.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
If anyone is curious, she's a conure.
So we have two red flags. 1, 'Bird eater' is as meaningless as 'pitbull'. It may be a Goliath but proper ID should be established and 2, Conures are insatiably curious and a very real and present danger to just about all exoskeletal animals. A powerful beak and a quick curious peck is all it takes.

Let's get a proper ID and a shot of the containment and go from there.

1684792401169.png

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Thanks everyone. I was just scared of losing my baby bird. If anyone is curious, she's a conure. They're midway in size between a parakeet and a cockatiel.
they are the noisiest birds and pet exotics of all exotics! The suns are the prettiest but man they are 2 yr olds with wings!!