Queen Ant, Adelaide South Australia

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I found this ant in the city today and I thought I'd capture it for some pictures and perhaps keep it to maybe start a colony or pass it on to someone else. Of course I can always let it go again where I found it, I'll be back to the location a few times next week.
I thought @Dennis Nedry might find it interesting and might be able to I.D. it for me.
A1.JPG A2.JPG A3.JPG A4.JPG A5.JPG

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Looks like Iridomyrmex to me, fast growing colonies and very easy to raise. If you're keeping her in that enclosure I'd stuff the holes with cotton wool so the workers can't escape, they're much smaller than the queen, and I'd make sure the substrate is deep enough to dig in. Make sure it doesn't dry out as well but don't over soak the sub.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Looks like Iridomyrmex to me, fast growing colonies and very easy to raise. If you're keeping her in that enclosure I'd stuff the holes with cotton wool so the workers can't escape, they're much smaller than the queen, and I'd make sure the substrate is deep enough to dig in. Make sure it doesn't dry out as well but don't over soak the sub.
Thanks Dennis, I just put her in that enclosure because it was a "blank" I had sitting around, I'm still not sure if I'll keep her or let her go.
If she's of any interest to you being from a different state I can post her to you for free.
I just happened to spot her and thought I'd scoop her up for a photo shoot.

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
Thanks Dennis, I just put her in that enclosure because it was a "blank" I had sitting around, I'm still not sure if I'll keep her or let her go.
If she's of any interest to you being from a different state I can post her to you for free.
I just happened to spot her and thought I'd scoop her up for a photo shoot.
These guys are pretty common in my area, probably the most common queens to find Australia-wide. I'm already running out of space so I'm pretty much done getting more ants, if you release her I'd do it near soil to burrow in

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
These guys are pretty common in my area, probably the most common queens to find Australia-wide. I'm already running out of space so I'm pretty much done getting more ants, if you release her I'd do it near soil to burrow in
No worries, I just know how some people like to collect specimens from various localities. I'm surprised with the difference in Black Rocks collected from different locations, and I did a bit of a study on colour variations in centipedes in a selected area which showed abrupt changes in colour in a 5km radius as the sand changed colour from red to "yellow".
I totally understand running out of room though!