[Q] Exo-Terra Heat Wave Mat.

timable

Arachnopeon
I´m at a loss as to which mat to buy. :?
Rainforest?
Desert?

Which do you prefer, this or that? :)

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I’m not a 100% on this one since I do not use anything to heat my T’s.

I would go with the rainforest one because you can attach it to the wall. You never want to attach it to the bottom of the tank or you risk over heating the T.

Why do you need it?

Steph

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
hi timable
Im no expert but i would say if you have an arboreal T (hangs around the top of your tank) then go with "rainforest".... if you have a terrestrial T (sits around on the bottom digging) go with "desert"... which tarantula do you have?

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
The VAST majority of tarantulas will not need this, and will be more in danger of being cooked than anything else.

Feathers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
To heat or not to heat...

I went with a rain forest for my H. maculata, but I went all out with her set up, which was slightly over kill. It only covers half the tank and even with it, the temp is only at 74.5 degrees. I won't be buying another one for my next set up.

I imagine if you live in the north where winters can get ugly, or you heat your house at 65 degrees, it might be a good idea to have one.

pink'n'curly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i have an avic avic so im always a bit worried about his temp/humid...so i put half the tank on a mat and half off...so he has the choice of temp he wants to hang around in. :)

JMoran1097

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I´m at a loss as to which mat to buy. :?
Rainforest?
Desert?

Which do you prefer, this or that? :)
both are big wastes of money. even if they are on the bottom of the tank, they really aren't strong enough to emit heat through the thick substrate. if you place them on the side of the tank, they are ugly as hell. you are seriously better off with a space heater.

hell, you might not even need one depending on the surrounding room temperature already. where do you live? what is the normal max and min temp of the surrounding region?

timable

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone~!! :)

Thank you everyone~!! :)

My country’s winter is very cold than your area.

also you can buy this when a freezing day, but i cant get this in here.

beause my country Don't sell Exo-Terra heat wave mat.

if i go abroad, i’ll buy this, so i wanna know some infomation of this.

cheetah13mo

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I understand that some places are colder than others but if you DON"T plan on keeping any T you own in a room that is below 60 degrees F for a prolonged period of time than buying a heat mat will be a waist of money. Tropical T's can handle temps in the 60s just fine and some T's can even handle temps in the 40 for a few months. Heat is good for reptiles and some scorpions but they are practically worthless for T's. I would imagine you don't keep your house below 60 in the winter so I wouldn't bother with any kind of heat.