PZB questions

TheWidowsPeak

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ok I'm thinking of getting a PZB but I need to know the sci name, and any other info or pics would be appreciated. thanks

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
dude

Eupalaestrus campestratus..

and just check down for a great E.campestratus link.. in fact i'll post it for you!

peace
dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Eupalaestrus campestratus are very easy to care for, shallow substrate, a hide spot, and a dish of water. They are one of the calmest species of tarantula and would be a great choice for anyone regardless of experience level.

Attachments

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
whoa, 'shallow susbtrate'?

um, i guess yours isnt a burrower :) -- try it with some deep substrate.. I find these guys to be some of the most hardcore burrowers out there..

jwb- have you ever had yours in some deep substrate? It may not be that much of a burrower, but i guess we wouldn't know huh? ;)

(john?) - but then again, each T is different, but if you get a sling, give it a real good amount of substrate... if it ends up not being a burrower, then youre cool.. but still.

try it with some substrate...

peace
dave

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hey jwb -- thats a really nice shot by the way!!!!

they are great T's... pretty docile, though you never know.. you may get a bitchy one :) I use that as an adjective which is allowable ;P =D

peace
dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I keep both of mine on a shallow substrate and have never put them on a deep substrate before. I have enough burrowers, so I like to keep a few on shallow substrate to show off to people. ;)

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yeah, but you're there for the T's, not the other way around -- i mean, its cool, but maybe try some substrate... i know they're your pets, but see if they'll burrow.. you could keep a lividum in shallow substrate, but i'm sure it would prefer to be in some substrate...

either way, thats a nice T buddy!
any other pics!

peace
dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
yeah, but you're there for the T's, not the other way around -- i mean, its cool, but maybe try some substratebut i'm sure it would prefer to be in some substrate...
Oh I know they would if I let them, so would many others, but they are by no means obligate burrowers. None of the tarantulas I keep on shallow substrate are showing any signs of stress, and are very healthy.

i know they're your pets, but see if they'll burrow
Why? I know they will,but why?

..... you could keep a lividum in shallow substrate,
Haplopelma species are obligate burrowers and would stress out until it's death if kept in a shallow substrate. Eupalaestrus campestratus Do not get stressed at all by a shllow substrate, and these are long term captives(over a year each). They are happy and thriving, and you wont get a leopard to change it's spots.;)

either way, thats a nice T buddy!
any other pics!
Ofcorse I do, thier just not ready to post yet.:(

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i dont think all lividums would stress out untill they died. There were a couple cobalts at the last pet shop i used to live near and he kept his lividums on shallow sub for years.. looong time. he also had a crawshayi for sale for years.. started at 2 inches and now its huge!!!!

its cool. to each their own :) I'm DEF not about telling people how to keep their T's, i'm just about offering up my $.02 once in a while, don't worry =D I'm not pushy -- we all have our OWN ways of doing stuff -- takes ALL kinds buddy!

def post some pics when you can :)

peace
dave

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
i dont think all lividums would stress out untill they died. There were a couple cobalts at the last pet shop i used to live near and he kept his lividums on shallow sub for years.. looong time. he also had a crawshayi for sale for years.. started at 2 inches and now its huge!!!!
Now there is something scary to think about, C. crawshayi without a burrow. I bet that is one cranky tarantula.:eek:

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
it's actually, seriously, the most beautiful crawshayi ever. Once i moved there and learned this is how they were kept for a long time, i showed himi the way...

they're set now, but now, one of the lividums has the weakest burrow, but as long as he's comfortable..

man, i'm going to take a pic of that crawshayi -- the most amazing specimen i've ever seen.. i want to buy it too and breed it -- $200 and thats it!!! huge bad boy!! :)

pce
dave

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Actually, I've got my campie on five inches of substrate, and in a year and a half, she's hardly done more burrowing than scoop out the inside of her pot. ( the dug a 2'' pit next to the glass, but that's about it.) She doesn't even use her pot much anymore; she's in the open pretty much all the time.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thats the fun of Ts -- each one can be alot different :)

my adults been hanging out in the open alot more, meanwhile one of my little slings (well 1.5" not so little) is in the middle of doing a total excavation of the cage!

so go figure.
but they're great T's!

peace
dave

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
my adults been hanging out in the open alot more, meanwhile one of my little slings (well 1.5" not so little) is in the middle of doing a total excavation of the cage!
I just got my PZB saturday. It hasn't done much of anything. She stays out in the open almost the whole time. Only this morning did she venture into her pot for the first time. Of course it might take a while for it to start moving things around. Even though it will be harder to see her if she took over the pot, i would really like to see her do some housework. As would be expected, she only seems to do interesting things at night. Every morning when i check on the cage, the water dish needs to be cleaned. Today i noticed some of the soil on the sides of the cage as if it was kicked up there or something. Not a lot, but still visible.