PZB care help

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
OK, so i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get a PZB as my first T. Now i need to know what current PZB owners recommend when it comes to enclosure. I have an extra 5 gallon critter cottage that i want to use. I also picked up a clay flower pot like so many people recommend for their burrows. So now i want to know what kind of substrate to use and if their is anything else i should know about maintaining a proper environment for my T. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mendnwngs

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have my PZB on ground coconut husk bedding.

From what I understand, (and feel free to correct me, anyone) They like it dry (50-60% or so)

Provide a water dish (of course) and a good hide. Flowerpot is cool, I personally use those hollowed out tree trunk you can get at petco.

Theres about 4" of space between the ceiling and the bedding, and about 4" of sustrate in my enclosure.

Other than that, Enjoy your new addition. I have found Zeebee (My PZB) to be the most docile. eazy going T in my collection.

-Jason

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've had my pzb for about a year and a half now, and she has tolerated very low humidity, although she seems more comfortable with moderate humidity. That said, "moderate" isn't a whole lot. Keep water in her dish, and cover all but a few of the ventilation holes. For example, in my pzb's ten gallon tank, I have all but the last inch of screen covered in saran wrap. It holds the heat and humidity in, and provides all the ventilation and fresh air the spider needs. If you see your tarantula hovering over the water dish, it means she wants more humidity. Just pour some water in the dish and over the substrate, and it will be enough.

As far as temp goes, 75 - 80 degrees F. is just fine. They are very, very hardy T's however, and will tolerate a mere 55 F. for several days ( although I recommend you keep it at least 70 F ).

For substrate, peat moss or potting soil will do. I recommend the peat moss, because if you pour water on potting soil enough times, it can mold, whereas peat moss will not mold. The moss also holds moisture better.

The flower pot is good, but bury it about half way in the substrate, and push some loose substrate up inside it. If the tarantula accepts the pot as its shelter ( which may take a while, mine took 2 months to move in ) it will push the dirt around to customize its living space to its own satisfaction.

For feeding, 1 to 2 crickets 2 to 3 times a week is fine, although it could survive on less. It really only needs one or two a week to survive, but you can't really feed a T to death, they will stop eating when they've had enough, so whether you feed it two or six crickets a week is up to you. If your T is becoming thin in the abdomen, you should feed it more , and if it really gets fat, it increases the risk of injury if the T climbs and falls in the tank, or if your handling it. Basically, if the tarantula's abdomen ( rear body segment ) is about the same width as its cephalothorax ( forward body segment-- what the legs attach to. See the "Basic Tarantula Anatomy" thread at the top of this forum. ) or a little wider, the tarantula is fine.

That brings me to handling. This species is very good for handling, as it usually has a very very calm and tolerant disposition. If the T gets skittish, stressed during handling, it is best to put it away. Handling should be kept to a minimum if it makes the animal nervous. The main thing here is be gentle, move slowly, don't blow on it!, and be gentle! You need to remember that they are fragile.

I hope that helps you. If you have any more questions, now or at a later time, please feel free to ask away!

LAking

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks Venom! Very helpful info. Too bad i don't have it yet. I drove nearly 45 minutes to a reptile store that said they had some (on the web site) and it turned out they were out. Boy did that stink. Nice store however. Pretty good selection of spiders in general and good prices as well.