Python bites kid, what do you think of this?

sbk94

Arachnopeon
I'm not sayin it's the parents fault but they know what CAN happen. Also watching the interview the parents just don't want it to happen again they NEVER said put it down. Therefore this whole thing was blown out of the water.
Steven

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The main people at fault are the handlers IMO. They're the ones who are most familiar with the animal. Most often the parents will just take the word of the handler because they know nothing about the animal.

Of course, I don't think the snake should be put down. The fact that it bit someone doesn't mean that it's any more easily provoked than the next snake. Based on what I've seen, a bite from a nonvenomous snake isn't anywhere near big enough of a deal to put the animal down.

H. laoticus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The handlers are responsible for their snake and the parents are responsible for their kid.

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sure, but it was the handlers' idea to have kids near the head. They, at the very least, are the ones who are supposed to be knowledgeable on the animal (plus, they're getting paid to show the snake while knowing how to do it right).

The average person doesn't know a whole lot about reptiles. So they often assume that the handler knows what they're doing and knows how the animal will behave and react.