Purchasing Ts?

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i would like everyone's opinion on the best place to purchase Ts. some of the ones i am interested in are only captive-bred.

in anycase, i would love to hear your experiences as i hope to perhaps collect a few more lovelies in the coming months.

thanks so much! oh...and i know shows are awesome places, but when is the next one in GA? :(

Arachnopuppy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The best way to get them is through ordering them online. Arachnopets has many links that you can use to find the right tarantulas and prices you want. I don't know much about GA so other people can help you out on this one. As far as Petco and such petstores go, I wouldn't count on them. People here, including myself, have very little respect for the average petstores and petstore people.

Bry

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hey Skad...good to see ya here. :) I went to the last show in McDonough, just the weekend before last. The selection was so-so...nothing but a whole lot of rosies and pinktoes. But you'll find a little variety if you look around just a little bit. I got my Braz. black from invertepet.com. Bill is real nice to deal with, and the T arrived in good shape. Check them out.

Bry

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
There is a list of the certified arachnodealers that frequent this site, check out the sticky titled "certified aracnodealers" in the classified forum of this site.

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
You can also see many different reviews of various dealers in the Dealer Review Forum, here on this site. :)

Debby

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
You could always we the online dealer reviews that are on this site to find a dealer, as you get to read what several people's dealings and experiences with many different dealers. If you are looking for someone that carries mostly all captive bred Ts, I've got to suggest you follow rosehaired1979's idea and check there. I've gotten many of my slings from Kelly and they are very nice and healthy. But be foretold that most of the CB Ts you find are slings to subadults, but they are a lot of fun to watch them grow up...

Atlanta Native

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bry, There was a show in McDonough? How in the hell did I miss that? Where was it, at the peddlers market? Do you know when the next one will be? Where do you live? South of Atlanta? Have you ever been to Randar's Reptiles in McDonough? He has a pretty good selection of T's. I bought a 1/8 inch A. geniculata from him last night for $10.

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
bry!!! wow, hey there! :) awesome to see you here as well. great to see a friendly face, what a surprise.

you know, honestly...i went to that show. (grin) we got there late though and i spent all my time swooning over birds and snakes. it was the Pet Market show wasn't it? i think so...yeah.

i didn't even stop to look at Ts at all. :( alas.

great suggestions guys, i'll check out all the links you gave me. look especially forward to checking out that free T special.

actually, as far as the s'ling subadult thing, i think i'd MUCH rather get a few of those. :) i looooove watching my snakes and other reptiles grow so i'm sure that would be an awesome treat.

let me ask you guys this - do temperaments of Ts change as they age?

rob

Got Inverts?
Old Timer
Orlando Show

Don't know if you want to make the drive, but there is a big show in Orlando May31-June1 called F.I.R.E. (Florida International Reptile Expo) which will probably have some T's. Maybe Glades, Todd Gearheart, and some others will be there and you can save on the shipping charges.
let me ask you guys this - do temperaments of Ts change as they age?
Some are the same as they were young and some get moodier as they've gotten older, and some are moody day to day. I don't believe there's a hard and fast rule on this although it only really matters when they are old enough to have fangs of sufficient size to penetrate your skin!;)

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
waaaaaaahahahaa, no, sorry, i would've drive six hours for the raleigh, nc show. i'm glad too b/c at the time i was looking for crested gecko adults and they didn't have a single one according to a friend. (n/m adults, they had nothing!)

so bah.

well, i wouldn't imagine shipping could be that bad on so light a creature as a T. at least...i hope not. (grin)

perhaps if i stay on my baby's good side, that'll help eh? hope so!:cool:

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just to ask, as far as www.swiftinverts.com goes, i know you get a freebie, but like if i buy a T, will i get a free T?

and also, if i get a free T, can i please BEG her to give me a beginner's T as opposed to something freaky? lol.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf
just to ask, as far as www.swiftinverts.com goes, i know you get a freebie, but like if i buy a T, will i get a free T?

and also, if i get a free T, can i please BEG her to give me a beginner's T as opposed to something freaky? lol.
(Kelly might get mad if you keep calling him 'her') :)

Bill

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Hey Wolf if you want to go to a Show in GA here is some info.
ATLANTA REPTILE & EXOTIC ANIMAL SHOW

Sponsored by Reptiles magazine, Armstrong Cricket Farms and our new sponsor, Kingsnake.com

November 23 & 24 2002

10:00am - 5:00pm

Gwinnett Civic Center
Interstate 85, Sugarloaf Parkway exit
Atlanta, Georgia
Tickets are $7

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
omg, i'm sorry kelly! heh...(nervous laugh) :/ i'm sure you're very manly. :)

ahhh yes, don't worry, i go to every bird, reptile, & pet fair near me! i won't miss it. sucks that it's in november doesn't it? argh. i might cave and start going to the monthly (or so) ones in b'ham, al. has anyone been to those, they any good?

i am NOT driving 4 hrs for a lame show, i don't care if it is where i used to live or the fact that i can visit one of my favorite vietnamese restaurants and tour the exception japanese gardens area at the most excellent and totally free B'ham Botanical Gardens.

(hmmm, wow, what a run-on! sounds like i'm convincing myself too...)

alidpayne

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by skadiwolf

Kelly is a great guy to work with. If you let him know that you ONLY want t's, he will make sure your freebie is a t. (he has always sent a t as the freebie to me anyway) and if you tell him that you want something good for a beginer I am sure he would be more than happy to oblige you.

Just ask him, he won't bite!

(*the preceeding comment is based only on my personal experience with Kelly, and is not intended to imply that he could/would never bite YOU. He hasn't bitten me, however.)

Ali

skadiwolf

Arachnolord
Old Timer
(grin) awesome, sounds fantastic. he sounds like a really good guy and i've read/heard nothing but excellent things about him on here.

hmmm...you know, guys that bite aren't always bad... :D

but i'm not single, so everyone back off...

...i have mace.

;P

Botar

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I carry pepper spray and I'm quite proficient in using it too. Not bad on burritos either.

Swifty is a great guy to buy slings from, but there are a lot of good dealers on here. If you'd like to buy something bigger, just check the classifieds. I've picked up tons of stuff on there as well as from the dealers.

Botar

SpiderTwin

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hey skadiwolf,

Shipping for T's is usually $25-30, they have to be shipped overnight. Most folks selling T's will guarantee live arrival if they are shipped overnight. You are right when you say the package dosen't weigh much, but the cargo needs to get there fast!