Puerto Rico Tarantulas

Jacobchinarian

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Taking a vacation to Porto Rico Saturday. We will be in forests I think so what should I be looking for in terms of tarantulas and of coarse other wildlife. I heard p cancerides are here also is that true? Also if I wanted to ship a tarantula back home to the US would that be legal since it is a US territory?

LV-426

Arachnobaron
its Puerto Rico, they have the Puerto Rican Pygmy tarantua. I am not sure about Phormictopus species over there

Shea

Arachnosquire
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to bring animals from a different country into the US. That's how the killer bee infestation started in the US.

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure it's illegal to bring animals from a different country into the US. That's how the killer bee infestation started in the US.
Puerto Rico is not a "different country", it's a protectorate of the U.S.

The killer bee problem was not from bringing animals in from other countries - it was the result of a hybridization experiment in Brazil in which the bees escaped into the wild. From there they spread under their own efforts, gradually expanding their range up through Mexico into the United States.

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm pretty sure there is some kind of Avic species in Puerto Rico, yet not sure which one.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm surprised I'm the first to suggest this.

Pretty easy from there to figure out what you want to know. (at least for the first part of your question)