Puebla / Oaxaca (Mexico) photos

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Puebla / Oaxaca (Mexico) photos and request for ID(s)

Hi all,

Last week I went to Puebla and Oaxaca (states in Mexico):

Puebla

Habitat

Oaxaca

Habitat

Puebla (different part)

Habitat

ID(s) on the above scorpions are very welcome {D

Will blog soon on the entire trip (which was fantastic).

Last edited:

Deolok

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice pictures...Deffinently makes me wanna go to mexico =P

kahoy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i missed my centruroides...

i think i wanna get some :p

Thaedion

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Awesome pictures... I always like to see actual habitat pics of a scorpion.:worship: :D :worship:

Did you by any chance go to the caves of the Sistema Huautla, in Oaxaca? That's where the Alacran tartarus is lurking... :evil:

Alakdan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
You saw them during daytime? Wow! Much safer than hunting at night.

pandinus

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey Bokma,
Havent seen you post for a while. Looks like you are having a good time down there again! very nice centruroides, hope you get those IDd soon.

John

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Did you by any chance go to the caves of the Sistema Huautla, in Oaxaca? That's where the Alacran tartarus is lurking... :evil:
No, we did some crazy trip with little time for walking: Puebla state -> Oaxaca state -> back to Puebla state, and back to Veracruz where we live, from Wednesday until Sunday. So only time for three short walks. Based on Google Earth I guess we traveled well over 1000 km in 5 days.

You saw them during daytime? Wow! Much safer than hunting at night.
Yes, hiding under stones, which still means one has to be very careful, they can be resting on the underside of the stone (Centruroides spp. do that often is my experience) and sometimes they can be resting very close to the edge. Also black widows often share the habitat, so turning over a stone must be done with care. And lizards sometimes hide under stones and might cause a slight heart attack when they make a run for it.

hey Bokma,
Havent seen you post for a while. Looks like you are having a good time down there again! very nice centruroides, hope you get those IDd soon.
Been busy, and then I often forget this place :wall: . First scorpion could be "Centruroides infamatus infamatus or Centruroides balsasensis", second one probably same species, third one (clearly) different species, but same complex Microscopic examination is needed to be sure (thanks to Rolando Teruel).

And yeah, we had an excellent, but quite hot, time.

Is that C limpidus territory by any chance?
Not sure, I was hoping to find both C. infamatus (ssp) and C. limpidus (ssp), but had no real idea where to look, so we "randomly" visited 3 locations.

Also the third habitat had Vaejovis punctatus punctatus and in the first one we also found scorpions belonging to the punctatus complex (again thanks to Rolando for IDing) sometimes under the same stone with the Centruroides spp.

EAD063

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very great posts and finds! I've already made a vow to myself that I am bringing a black light and deli cups next time I visit Acapulco. I'm jealous. :)