Pterinochilus sp. behavior...

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Hey all...
I've determined from many of you that it is normal for many "Usambaras" to build a hammock up high...
Is it also normal for them to stay there all day with no movement...keeping their legs all scrunched in close? I figured she thinks that i can't see her. :)
I threw a cricket into the webbing just to see what happens (yes, I know that's not what the hammock is for) and she didn't even twitch. The cricket happily escaped...and appears to no longer exist. I assume eaten overnight. Are they strictly nocturnal?
Thanks for info....

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
that all sounds normal. mine only eats at night and i'll often stick a cricket or mealworm in her hammock (which she'll grab once i leave the room).

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
My P. murinus only comes out at night, and webs its burrow closed shortly after sunrise. After she molts, and she is ravenous, she will come out during the day to eat.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Mine appears to be storing all the food I've given her. Maybe a molt coming up...but she appears to be mature. Who knows?
In reference to grabbing the cricket once you leave the room...do they have vision that good? Better than NW T's?

sabre

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i don't know if their vision is better than new world ts, but i think it's eating when i leave has more to do with me turning off the light or because it's not feeling the vibrations that i make while i'm there.

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Ahhh....so they're touchy little buggers....
I'm liking their personality...if you can call it that. Maybe that's why I like cats...they have the "don't mess with me because you are nothing" attitude. :}