Pterinochilus murinus

najig21

Arachnopeon
I just got a Pterinochilus murinus and it was psychotic for about three days, and now it's calm as can be. Not even my G. rosea is that calm. I don't risk holding it, though. My dad thinks it's trying to lull me into a false sense of security. Ha ha. I'm a little confused with this guy though, cuz he just sits in the top corner of the cage all day. I thought they were supposed to be terrestrial. Any comments?

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They're terrestrial, but only sort of. An Usambara's typical thing is to fill whatever container you give them with all manner of webbing. So while they're not exactly arboreal, they don't touch the ground much either.

Their webbing is definitely one of their coolest habits. Makes even greenbottles look lame in comparison.

LPacker79

ArachnoSpaz
Old Timer
My 1" P. murinus started out building a web at the top of her enclosure, she then abandoned that and made a burrow.....she's now working on filling her whole container with webbing.

I took this pic the other day during feeding time. She does have a hide in there somewhere, but I believe she covered it with dirt and webbing.

Leanne

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Fair warning

DONT GET BIT.
My spiderling bit me a while back and Its not pleasant , check bite reports. Only thing im getting still is sudden cramps..
these guys are also very unpredictable by the way.

najig21

Arachnopeon
Lpacker79, all I have to say is "Mother of God!" That is a lot of webbing. Bob, unpredictable you say? Maybe that's why it was so unbelievably calm when I gently prodded it with a long pair of tongs. But my dad is still bent on the theory that it's waiting for me to use my real hand one of these days. I don't ever plan to. I saw this thing totally flip out on the guy at the pet store who packed him up for me. Nasty little thing, occasionally.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Problem with these guys is that they do a sort of jump attack out of nowhere for the slightest movement.Other than that they are very secretive and will hide in its burrow all day..
They can however build large underground, above ground burrows if given enough soil.

usranger09033

Arachnopeon
Speaking of which

yeah...about the "jump attack mode"....I've got 2 p. murinus slings measured at 1.25" and I love watching them eat...sooo the other day I was like "holly nuts....these things jump!"...first time I noticed that:eek: Funny how I come across the post about them jumping:cool:

P.S: should have been MY post:8o