Pterinochilus murinus x3

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I'm getting three Pterinochilus murinus Ts and I'm only going to house them once so these will be their permanent enclosures....no one really knows if these are terrestrials or aboreals so they're going to be housed as both.

if I put enough dirt in these to the height of the container next to it will that be suitable for this T species?

Also I'll get some decor and a few hiding places so they won't spend all their time at the openings (opens at two ends).

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'm getting three Pterinochilus murinus Ts and I'm only going to house them once so these will be their permanent enclosures....no one really knows if these are terrestrials or aboreals so they're going to be housed as both.

if I put enough dirt in these to the height of the container next to it will that be suitable for this T species?

Also I'll get some decor and a few hiding places so they won't spend all their time at the openings (opens at two ends).

Well... they're not avics so you don't need it to be super tall... My avic is the only arboreal that actually builds up in the air. The other ones build dirt curtains and burrow just a bit.

If you want a cranky, defensive T with pretty webbed enclosure, less substrate lots of anchors.
If you want amore manageable, yet less visible you can use a relatively deep sub and they'll build web into it (@Chris LXXIX does this).

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I would go for a wider, more rectangular shape instead of this oval. It provides you with little room to work in, and I believe I have once heard Poec saying that rounded shaped enclosures are like a catapult when dealing with fast species, they can build up quite the momentum in there.
Just my thoughts;)

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I would go for a wider, more rectangular shape instead of this oval. It provides you with little room to work in, and I believe I have once heard Poec saying that rounded shaped enclosures are like a catapult when dealing with fast species, they can build up quite the momentum in there.
Just my thoughts;)

You read that incorrectly, that container to the left was for the substrate height only

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You read that incorrectly, that container to the left was for the substrate height only
I was talking about the roundish box with the blue lid...not the cup with substrate ;)
I personally wouldn't house a fast defensive spider in something that small in width.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
Then no. This isn't an arboreal species, and it will very quickly outgrow that enclosure. Stick with a typical terrestrial setup, provide anchor points, and have a larger than usual enclosure. It'll make your life easier.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
no one really knows if these are terrestrials or aboreals so they're going to be housed as both.
Wait, I just read this part :rofl: What do you mean no one knows? They're terrestrial. Just because they web like mad doesn't mean they're arboreal. In fact, technically, they're a burrowing species that happens to web a lot.

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
I've heard many times in these forums that ppl treat them as semi aboreal.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I've heard many times in these forums that ppl treat them as semi aboreal.
"Semi arboreal" just means they web a lot, I've come to learn. Because of how much they web, you're able (and often encouraged) to provide more vertical space to allow for webbing anchor points. But that doesn't at all mean you could house it like a pokie, which is what you're trying to do here.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Lot of substrate. Screw that "arboreal" myth once and for all: it's like saying that 'GBB' are arboreals only because they possess more agility than chubby rocks 'Grammos/Brachys'... while indeed true, doesn't turn C.cyaneopubescens into arboreals T's.

They (OBT) love to dig if given the chance, therefore offer substrate and a piece of cork bark.

If you don't, fine: they will adapt (they're masters) ending to web the hell out of the enclosure; nice to see but, trust me, not exactly the best for cleaning and refill/take out for clean the water dish.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I always house OBTs in large kritter keepers. Has worked great for me. They can web all the way up to the top but generally leave the little door in the lid free.