Pterinochilus Meridionalis

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, after a bit of a mix up involving a few people, i have come into posession of a 3" 'Grey baboon'. I am definately a newbie, so i know this isn't a choice tarantula for me to have at this stage, so i shall be trying to swap it for something a little 'easier'.
But, while i have it, i would like to give it a nice and hassle free life.
I've been told to keep it in the manner of P. Murinus, so i've got a 12" x 8" x 8" pet pal waiting for it when it arrives in the morning. This has a few inches of peat/bed a beast mix, some cork bark and a water dish.
Is there anything to expect from this spider (i know theyre supposed to be stupidly fast and aggressive, but will this be so after 16 hours in the post in english weather?)?.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
General care for this genus has some err conditions..

A. potent venom most likely im talking arm getting ripped off feeling then feeling numb in a body part for a year (this varys between people but its still potent and you most likely will want to see a doctor after being bit)

B.Can very well move faster than your eye can see for short bursts

C.Before moving it cool it down.

D.This genus has some individuals that will not run away like normal spiders do but will turn around and chase the threat away some do some dont.

E.Even when cooled down I have seen these bolt suddenly so beware.

F.I would try the P murinus care untill you get more info I personally havent heard of this species

On a side note BE CAREFUL WHEN FEEDING mines have jumped up to get food off my hand before tossing it in lol. And since its in a petpal put tape around the sides after its in there since pet pal lids are not really sturdy.

Last edited:

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ok, cheers for making me even more worried :( How should i remove it from its package and into the pet pal? Put the box into the petpal via hole in lid then pull said box out as fast as lightning?

Oh, and when the time comes to swap it, how do i get it out :- / ?

Last edited:

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Dont be afraid just careful. Dont want you to get bit youll never forget it if you do.

Just cool it for around 10 minuites or less then. Test it blow on it through the air holes a bit if it eventually runs around really quick cool it down a bit more when its to the point that its sluggish and slow loosen the lid of the container while its upside down in its new habitat and tap the top of the container to make sure the spider is at the bottom where the lid is then lift if the spider runs on you dont panic this may entice it to bite simply wait untill it moves off of you and gently place the pet pal in its way while it walks away.

Dont cool it down to the point where it cant move , this will kill it the point is to slow it down not kill it.

Last edited:

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
To get it out your gona have to cool the pet pal down thats what I do some of the braver people here do things such as put there hand in the way when its calm so it walks on it or quickly place a cup over it.
I however wont risk the spider losing a leg due to quickly putting a cup on it or getting bit by handeling it others just poke it with something long so it runs in the other direction into the container you want.

I cool my spiders of this genus down and place a cup with a lid over them then I slide the lid under the cup.

Last edited:

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
ahh ok cheers. Im not really scared for myself, but for the sake of my family :-/ My dad doesnt know ;), and my mums allergic to bee and wasp stings, but still said its ok aslong as it doesnt get out :(
ill stick it in the fridge, then try and use a stick or something to maneouvre it. I'm guessing these dont need their bowl to be filled that often (due to lowish humidity and also, who the <hell> would want the meanies to bit their hands off refilling ;)).

Two last things; 1. will it burrow (as in the genus themselves), 2. When feeding thawed pinkies, how the hell do you remove boluses?

I'm looking forward to getting it, just not getting bit (although im prepared for it to happen sooner or later, id rather it be later ;))

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Buy some long 12 inch forceps or use something long that is used for grasping like those things that they use for bbqs great for moving stuff around in there.
And if its anything like a murinus it will burrow but on top of the entrance of the burrow it will make a huge web maze kind of thing.
Make sure everytime you open that pet pal somewhere that there arnt lots of places to hide or small cracks.

I would be very careful with venom allergies by the way. Just make sure it isent bothered much and its really not a big problem

Btw just stick it in the fridge and use flip container supside down then loosen lid and lift container its in , its the safest way

Last edited:

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
do you mean those 'sausage graspers' :p ? Ill ask my mum if i can borrow them, but the ends are those big open ones? By no places to hide do you mean inside the tank or out? Cos my room is a jungle :p (cept instead of plants its clothes and dead crickets ;))

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I mean when you place it in its new home make sure it has no place to hide just in case it bolts on you while your placing it in there.
and those suasage things are good for water dish , try something called a pickup tool (find it in auto stores) for the rremoval blouses

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cheers man, you are a good source of knowledge, and even though i deserve it, im glad you didnt have a go at me for getting one when im a newbie (although it was inadvertant, i didnt go searching for one). Cheers again, ill repost tomorrow once it has all 'happened', unless im lying up in bed at hospital ;)

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hospital wont do much just monitor you and give you some painkillers but dont worry it will be fine on the birght side you usally actually have to touch it for it to bite you.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
got it this morning, and it was already slow moving so i didnt cool it down, just took the kitchen roll it was sat on out of the box, placed it in the pet pal and shifted the spider with a pen. Its already started burrowing, and it actually seems to be quite placid.

Bob the thief

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would check if it really is a perti in that case.. or maybe it was cold humm im stumped. check on it during the day and see

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whats a petri? If that means pterinochilus (?) then yes it is. It was cold, it took a good 30 mins before it started moving around. It still isnt moving much now, its just in the top corner of the pet pal (humidity isnt that high though, although ill decrease it a bit anyway. It has eaten one large cricket, and another is on the loose in its tank somewhere.

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Just to let you know, there is no such species as Pterinochilus meridionalis. It was moved to Ceratogyrus meridionalis. If I remember right, one of the distinguishing characteristics of it is that it has a belly band on the bottom of the abdomen. If it does not have this, then it is probably Pterinochilus sjostedti. I could be wrong, hopefully someone more taxonomically inclined will explain it further.

Scott

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
hmm, is it normal for a baboon to not show any signs of aggression ??? It hasnt as of yet, although it has only been 14 hours or thereabouts..

danread

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Desicata,

I just though i'd let you know that the Pterinochilinus species aren't as bad as some people are making out. Sure, they are defensive, skittish and fast, but there's no reasn why you can't keep one. It sounds like you are fully aware of any potential problems, so as long as you are careful when carrying out tank maintentance, i say keep it. They are beautiful Ts that dispay really interesting behaviour and well worth keeping.

Dan.

Dessicata

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
definately are fast, turned on the light last night to check on everyone before i went to bed, looked in its cage, and it just started bouncing of all the walls - damn fast. No threat postures thrown as of yet, it seems to be more 'let me get away' rather than 'you get away'. Plus i dont think it has eaten yet, maybe one cricket, but its abdomen seems small (not tiny, but doesnt look big, if you understand), and it only moulted a month ago, so surely cant be premoult?