pterinochilus lugadi how to keep them ?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hi how do you keep p- lugadi - aka fort hall baboon as i may be geting one soon so any help or advice would be good thanks to you guys and girls for your help in the past :worship: :worship: :worship: :clap: :clap: :) :) -- phil

tmanjim

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I used to have 2. I just gave them a hide and a water dish, and they were both fine. Watch out, they can be extremely fast.

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Pterinochilus lugardi are native to Botswana, Namibia, South Africa, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe ... Mostly coming from the south and east africa. I keep them kinda similar to my Pterinochilus murinus, as stated before. I tried different kind of hide for 'em, and they will adopt well this kind of environement :

I crossed many piece of cork bark on each other, making a cocoon in the middle, with different entrys and exit. I digged a '' U '' in the middle of these cork bark, giving the spider enough room

Wich is going to end up pretty much like this

I usually use the Zimbabwe as reference on the kind of climate to keep them. Zimbabwe has dinstinct Dry and Rain season, its not because it is from Africa then you have to keep bone dry at full time :

November to marsh : Rain season.

In these months, heres how I am keeping them :

3 weeks to one month : regular misting, 3 to 4 misting a week, light misting you know ... you dont want to flood the terrarium, and you got to have a good ventilation. I usually moist the substrate a little and thats it, most of the time I mist the opposite of the spider hides, to offer the spider a dry and moist side, and to increase the humidity in there.

Then, I give the spider a break of 2 weeks, where I dont mist, I let the container dry's up.

and I continu like this for the Rain Season.

-----

April to October : Dry Season

In these dry months, here's how I am keeping them :

3 weeks to one month : 1 to 2 light misting a week, to the opposite of the spider hide.

then, 2 week's a little bit more wet, I mist 2 to 3 time a week, very light misting, somethings that will dry up in the next few hour's. Just to make sure the spider is well hydrated.

and I continu like this for the rest of the Dry season.

You'r Pterinochilus lugardi and P. murinus will be happy in this environnement. I usually keep my Pterinochilus murinus RCF the same way, even if they come from more the north, to the south of Kenya and north east of Tanzania, its very similar.

Video of the spider , as we talk about it .
http://s97.photobucket.com/albums/l...rdi/?action=view&current=lugardimating010.flv

Hope it helps.

Last edited:

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[thanks cedrikg thats a big help and brilliant pics i am still thinking about geting one ? i must say my p .murinus is easy to keep as i only see it at feeding time lol anyway thanks and if i get it i will tell every one how it works out -- phil

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
thanks thats excellent site a great help to me and any one thinking of getting any africa baboons well done for finding it :clap: :clap: :clap: === phil

Dilbrain

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thanks thats excellent site a great help to me and any one thinking of getting any africa baboons well done for finding it :clap: :clap: :clap: === phil
I think the chap [ Timo Raab ] actually designed the website!
But I agree it is excellent indeed.

:D

CedrikG

Arachnoking
Old Timer
he did'nt need to find it, he's the autor, lol

EDIT : Lol you was faster then me on this one