Psycho H. maculata?

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
I'm keeping my adult female H. maculata in a 5.5 gallon terrarium. Recently she's picked up a bad habit. She's been sticking her fangs through the screen of the lid, and "chewing" at it.

I'm wondering if this is fairly normal for this species, or if I should be concerned of an impending escape. She's been at it for about two weeks, now (and in the cage for three months).

Below is a picture of the screen. You can see all the widened spots she's made fairly clearly.

-Bryan

Phillip

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's not species specific...

Seems to be an individual thing. I have some that will do it and others that wont. One female smithi for instance goes through periods of screen chewing for months then she stops only to start up again later on.

Phil

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Yeah, it's not something I've seen her do until lately. My other maculata never did it, either.

She's also been running around in the open a lot, lately. It's the first opportunity to see her so well since I first brought her home!

I'd open the lid for a picture of her, but I know she'd dash right out ;)

-Bryan

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
...So what do I do? I wuss out and take a photo through the glass. She's so pretty :) This is definately my favorite species!

-Bryan

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Bryan,
Damn! Awww..you know she just wants to give you a kiss! Besides, wouldn't you like a few more "arachno-piercings"?? =D
Peace,
Gillian

Last edited:

SkyeSpider

Spider Queen
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gillian
Bryan,
Damn! Awww..you know she just wants to give you a kiss! Besides, wouldn't you like a few more "archno-piercings"?? =D
Peace,
Gillian
Arachno-piercings, eh?
From my pinktoes, sure ;)
From this monster? I don't think so =D

Gillian

Arachnoblessed
Old Timer
Originally posted by TheEternal
Arachno-piercings, eh?
From my pinktoes, sure ;)
From this monster? I don't think so =D