Psuedoscorpions!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been hunting for some of these amazing little guys for months and finally found one...well, 3 actually! These are one of my favorite arachnids, so secretive and tiny! I found them in some leaf litter, I wish they were easier to find.
Chthonius (Subgenus Ephippiochthonius)tetrachelatus IMG_20170222_202948-1.jpg IMG_20170222_222510-1.jpg

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Fascinating creatures! I've only seen one or two in my life. I hope they do well for you!

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I caught two more tonight, sadly I think they are all the same species, I want to find a different kind lol

RTTB

Arachnoprince
I've been wanting to do a colony of these for some time. Anyone know who offers them?

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
We have a bunch around here, tried culturing them once. Watch out for giving them too large of water droplets! They can easily drown. Good luck!

I've been wanting to do a colony of these for some time. Anyone know who offers them?
Bugsincyberspace.com occasionally has them. Maybe Roachcrossing.com sometimes.

RTTB

Arachnoprince
Do they fluoresce under black/UV light like scorpions?

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I caught two more tonight, sadly I think they are all the same species, I want to find a different kind lol
The bright sides are that you will have a larger gene pool and better likelihood of a good sex ratio for establishing a colony.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Try peeling back bark on fallen trees. I've found a few doing that and they appeared to be a different species to what you have there. Still not the easiest way to find them though, unfortunately. I found that bark that still sticks a little bit or that has lots of humidity and organic debris under it gave me the best chance of finding them. If there were springtails and things there was a decent chance that there would be pseudoscorpions there as well. Honestly, there could have been several more under the bark I was just missing because they're so tiny.

Roach Crossing has one species for sale now if you're wanting some diversity.

Stugy

Arachnolord
I can collect a small colony next time I go to New Mexico. I found out where I could find some pseudoscorpions. I hope I didn't kill that colony though. Now that I'm getting springtails I will be more confident when I get some. Just not sure when I'll go there again.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I just went out looking again, I found 3 more, all the same species. I am hoping I van go to the woods sometime soon to look as the ones I found today were the same species as the last, I put three in a vial with some tiny springtails, maybe I can get something going

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Good luck! They're an interesting group and it would be nice to see more people working with them even if they aren't that popular a group.

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
I found one of these once hiking in the foothills outside of Denver. I also found a black widow underneath a nearby rock. That was a good day haha. They certainly are tiny to put it mildly. In your photos they look a little bit like a solifugid with their chelicera. Good luck with the colony.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
That's exactly what I thought they looked like lol! I have two colonies now, one with three and one with 5, I think one or two are gravid so that'll be interesting

Ilovepredators

Arachnosquire
That's exactly what I thought they looked like lol! I have two colonies now, one with three and one with 5, I think one or two are gravid so that'll be interesting
I catch a lot of them in my house in the summer. I've thought of attempting to breed them. Watering them I just get a tiny piece of paper towel wet and put that in. They suck the water out of it. I feed them springtails I keep cultures of.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would love to hear if they breed and/or two they details about how your colony progresses. Fascinating little creatures.

Have you seen them go after the springtails?

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I actually just saw one eating one a few minutes ago, all are still doing well and are very fat so they have been eating! I hope they have little scorplings soon, that'll be interesting!

Terri Brantley

Arachnopeon
If you get a large colony going I would be interested in buying some for my beehive. They eat varroa mites and would be a great way to go organic.