Pseudoscorpion

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
One of the great things about living in an old house is that we have a wide array of very cool inverts that wander through. Yesterday I found a pseudoscorpion in the bathroom. At first I thought it was a big, brown tick, but I got up close and realized that it had tiny pincers. I tried to get a picture, but it was too small for my camera to focus on - must get new digital camera with macro lens!

Anyway, it was a great invert sighting and I was happy to have such a neat little creature in the house.

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pseudoscorpiones

Hey Galeogirl, yeah, even though they are quite small, pseudoscorpions are awesome arachnids!! Incredible predators too, possesing venom glands in the pincers, which can be huge relative to body size. Some tropical species can actually get up to around 1/4", which is definetely large for this arachnid order. Great find!

Alex S.

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What is a pseudoscorpions? Do you know of a site with info on them? I don't think I have ever seen one before.:?

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Pseudoscorpions

Pseudoscorpions, are of their own arachnid order (Pseudoscorpiones), which contains 23 families and roughly 3000 species. They range in size from as small as 1/32" to about 1/4" being the largest, and somewhat resemble true scorpions without the "tail". The abdomen is somewhat round and contains 11 or 12 segments. Relative to body size the pincer-like pedipalps are quite large and contain venom glands for killing prey. They commonly feed on mites, ants, and tiny flies. Most people dont see them because they are so small and usually hide in dark humid places such as under stones, logs, or in leaf litter.

Alex S.

Photo from internet of basic specimen:

Last edited:

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I used to be fascinated by "them thar thangs" when I lived in El Paso, AlexS!

BEE-YU-TI-FUL!!:D

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hye John, yeah, even though they are quite small, they are amazing arachnids!! Many of them are green, orange, blue, blue-black, red, transparent, or even transparent-red and orange! Incredible arachnid order!

Alex S.