Pseudhapalopus sp Columbia purple & gold

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
So I took a drive with my son today and ended up picking up a few new additions that I just couldn't pass on. A 3/4" Davus pentaloris, a 1" Harpactira pulchripes and a 1/2" sling labeled as "Pseudhapalopus" and underneath it said "Columbian purple & gold"

Is anyone familiar with this species? I googled and couldn't find anything specific to that species. Most searches only returned information on Pseudhapalopus sp Blue, although I did come across a few photos of the purple & gold.

Are there any different care requirements for the purple & gold? Any marked differences in temperament?

It is by far the smallest sling I've had, so far.

Chebe6886

Arachnobaron
If it’s the one I’m thinking @viper69 has some slings I believe. I believe their care is fairly straight forward but they are small, don’t eat much, and grow slowly.
hopefully viper will chime in though

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I have this species

You won't find much on them because they are pretty rare in the hobby IMO. I saw them maybe 5 year ago? You can keep them like sp Blue. I will tell you anything out of this genus is widely regarded as the slowest growing genus out there from people with more experience than me and who have bred them. I haven't looked up genders for these, but sp Blue is sexually dimorphic in color, and I guesstimate this one is too.

No marked differences that I'm aware of. It is by far the smallest sling I have ever seen. When I received one I needed a light to find it against the coco fiber particles it was larger than grain mites of course, but on the boarder of microscopic. For their size they can be pretty fast, meaning if spooked it will run up the Thornton vial I have it in, and right out. Def not a slow species as slings.

They don't eat that much. With slings that are larger that I have owned, they ate and required more hydration. But this little fellas can easily go without water and food for over a month based on my records. I wasn't too surprised about the food, but going without water for so long at their size, I thought for sure it might curl up and die. But it hasn't. They are resilient no question.

Last edited:

Sgt7212

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the info. It definitely is tiny. The other two, mentioned above, as all of my other T’s that I’ve gotten, rehoused, took prey and began making themselves at home.

The Pseudhapalopus rehoused fine, but I did notice it was quicker than I had originally expected (as opposed to the H. pulchripes, which held onto the moss and refused paint brush prodding, so I used tweezers to lift it right into its enclosure, while expecting a bolt that never happened).

The Psuedhapalopus hasn’t done much of anything else yet. Just hunched against the wall of its enclosure and has shown no interest in the tiny mealworm cut up segment that I placed in there. I am not worried because it has a plump looking butt and a shallow water bottle cap for its water dish. Should be interesting to watch it glacially make its way to adulthood. I’ve heard they get to about 5 inches with males slightly smaller.

Their rarity is the main reason I grabbed it up. Same reason I grabbed the Davus. I haven’t seen them offered very often either.

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
I just ordered 5 of these. Can't wait to keep this species.

spideyspinneret78

Arachnoprince
Such a beautiful species.....but their tiny size as slings is really intimidating. I'd be so worried that I'd either lose them or would accidentally kill them somehow. This is partly why I haven't kept any dwarf species yet. It's hard to find some of them unless they're extremely small slings. They are beautiful though. Their colors are stunning. Best of luck!

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
Such a beautiful species.....but their tiny size as slings is really intimidating. I'd be so worried that I'd either lose them or would accidentally kill them somehow. This is partly why I haven't kept any dwarf species yet. It's hard to find some of them unless they're extremely small slings. They are beautiful though. Their colors are stunning. Best of luck!
I used to feel the same until I took the leap. They are really easy. All of my cyriocosmus species have scavenge fed on mealworm pieces. I think this species is smaller but should be the same, just keep them fed and one day they will be big enough to see them lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Funny people commented on this T. I was feeding it a minute ago. They are extremely fast for their TINY size. Not quite OW fast, but they are the fastest dwarf slings I've owned.

I just ordered 5 of these. Can't wait to keep this species.
I used to feel the same until I took the leap. They are really easy. All of my cyriocosmus species have scavenge fed on mealworm pieces. I think this species is smaller but should be the same, just keep them fed and one day they will be big enough to see them lol.
But the members of that genus are typically pretty assertive eaters. They remind me of H. sp. Columbia in terms of eating, but not as assertive, but close. So it's easy to feed them. Many of the other dwarf slings don't have a great feeding response, makes them harder.

BassCatPIV

Arachnosquire
I have an sp blue of this species as well. Tiny is no joke. At 1/2 inch that's big compared to when I got my sling a few months ago. Mine was about a 1/4 inch when I got it. Here's a recent picture. I don't think it's a half inch yet. Good luck with the sling and keep us updated.

Attachments

Hi all
Im currently raising 5 of these(Pseudhapalopus sp colombia)for the last 2+months.They were all good eaters till few weeks ago when my smallest one 0.7cm refused food when the temperature dropped.Rest are around 1cm now.
I have housed them in 1oz deli pot(dimensions 3cm diameter 2.5-3 cm high)on damp substrate with starter burrow and bits of dry moss so they dont feel exposed.Barely putting any noticeable size with each moult.Only one of them has made its own burrow while the rest are happy using the moss for cover.They are fast(one went half way through the room on initial housing day before I even blinked)but none of mine has tried to bolt out of the enclosure yet.They normally run for cover near the moss.
Few pics of my setup below.
20200714_144741.jpg 20200714_144734.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Last edited:

EphebopusGemini

Arachnopeon
Hey guys, picking one of these (P. sp “Columbia”) up tomorrow for my birthday and was wondering if anyone had any updated information on them now that they’re a little more established/hopefully some of them have grown out of the tiny sling stage? I don’t like or trust YouTube and everything seems to be pretty well encapsulated in this thread but figured it was worth asking for any updates! Do they pick up growth rate as they grow or is it molasses in January all the way through? TIA!

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
So I took a drive with my son today and ended up picking up a few new additions that I just couldn't pass on. A 3/4" Davus pentaloris, a 1" Harpactira pulchripes and a 1/2" sling labeled as "Pseudhapalopus" and underneath it said "Columbian purple & gold"

Is anyone familiar with this species? I googled and couldn't find anything specific to that species. Most searches only returned information on Pseudhapalopus sp Blue, although I did come across a few photos of the purple & gold.

Are there any different care requirements for the purple & gold? Any marked differences in temperament?

It is by far the smallest sling I've had, so far.
Most of the species under the genus of Pseudhapalopus are dwarf tarantulas out of supposedly Columbia. Who knows where they actually collected the original ones from.

Slow growing ✔
Fast, especially as slings ✔ Microscopic sling size ✔
Can be fossorial or terrestrial✔
and
For those with the patience to wait, a most stunning adult with vibrant abdomen colors for your viewing pleasure ✔

calliew311

Arachnopeon
I have this species

I haven't looked up genders for these, but sp Blue is sexually dimorphic in color, and I guesstimate this one is too.
Hi,
I know this thread is kind of old and I looked at Konstantins updated thread he put below but it doesn't answer your theory of sexual dimorphism? And if they are, when does it show? Is it noticeable soon or at the final molt like a P irminia or something?
Mine is about 2.25 inches and is purple and gold but based on your growth rates, mine seems to be growing fast. She was prob 1/4 inch last November, and is now pushing 2.25 inches. So, that doesn't seem as slow as I took your comment and I'm wondering if I have a male. I don't get their molts and never see their ventral side. Thanks!

-Callie
PS: the pic isn't showing her colors well, but I've seen them, she's just so freaking skittish I can't get a good photo of the colors.

Attachments

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hi,
I know this thread is kind of old and I looked at Konstantins updated thread he put below but it doesn't answer your theory of sexual dimorphism? And if they are, when does it show? Is it noticeable soon or at the final molt like a P irminia or something?
Mine is about 2.25 inches and is purple and gold but based on your growth rates, mine seems to be growing fast. She was prob 1/4 inch last November, and is now pushing 2.25 inches. So, that doesn't seem as slow as I took your comment and I'm wondering if I have a male. I don't get their molts and never see their ventral side. Thanks!

-Callie
PS: the pic isn't showing her colors well, but I've seen them, she's just so freaking skittish I can't get a good photo of the colors.
Not sure might have a male-lots of variables for growth