Psalmopoeus Victori is good for beginners?

Darth Vehl

Arachnopeon
Hello guys! I want to buy another little furry pet (tarantula). I want to get a P. Victori, is it a good one for beginners?

Edan bandoot

Arachnoprince
Hello guys! I want to buy another little furry pet (tarantula). I want to get a P. Victori, is it a good one for beginners?
The care is moderate, they are fast, painful bite, like a bit of moisture and they are quite expensive. Not the best for beginners, but if you're committed you can do anything

Last edited:

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Definitely not. Fast, defensive and equipped with a poison that is not entirely harmless. Arboreals are basically no beginner animals and if it absolutely has to be then a C. versicolor - but this in turn makes a little more demands on their keeping. So, as always, the same saying: Start with a T. albopilosum or Brachypelma! Then you have fun too!

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Get a versicolor for arboreal or a GBB or LP if you want something with slightly more attitude. Even an A geniculata wouldn’t be terrible. P victori are crazy fast, I just got one

Arachnophobphile

Arachnoangel
IMO it's all about what you are comfortable with.

Other than that members gave sound advice, not the best for beginners.

It's an expensive T as well and if you have no experience whatsoever it's not a T you want to practice with first. You make mistakes it'll be like flushing your money down the toilet when it dies.

No one can tell you what to do but advice is given freely. IMO it's best to start with something cheap, hardy as hell and slower moving.

Take time in learning how to properly set up and maintain an enclosure. Learn everything about substrate varieties and combinations. Get a few of these tarantula types and get a little experience under your belt especially with rehouses.

Once you feel comfortable with all that then move on to a T that demands more experience. You'll know when you're ready. Usually that's when you raised a 1/4 inch spiderling to adult hood with no medical or keeper induced issues and never had an escape.

There's more but that's enough for now. Just be honest with yourself don't just assume you have what it takes to properly deal with any tarantula. Members here have stories of those that did just that with OW T's and wound up being bitten or an escapee never found. Hell I remembering reading some of those.

Always come here for advice and by all means spend time researching everything. Most information you can find right here on AB by using the search feature at the top of the site, goodluck.

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nope, they're not particularly difficult in terms of husbandry but they're fast, they're easily the most defensive species in the genus, they're still relatively expensive (slings are currently £40 a pop here), and if you do get tagged it'll ruin your day (and probably the day after).

Darth Vehl

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the advice and I think I'll stick with another Brachypelma, maybe Verdezi. Just to tell you that in Mexico City, P. Victori are not expensive at all, they cost about $ 500 mxn ($ 25 USD).

Emi248

Arachnoknight
Thanks for the advice and I think I'll stick with another Brachypelma, maybe Verdezi. Just to tell you that in Mexico City, P. Victori are not expensive at all, they cost $ 500 mxn (more or less $ 25 USD).
I also live in Mexico, I got a guy that sells a victory for 350 mxn

8 legged

Arachnoprince
Thanks for the advice and I think I'll stick with another Brachypelma, maybe Verdezi. Just to tell you that in Mexico City, P. Victori are not expensive at all, they cost about $ 500 mxn ($ 25 USD).
Home advantage :D

Emi248

Arachnoknight
Be careful! For the price, I think it may be wild-caught, and remember it is illegal. What's the name of the breeder?
Criasor Exotics, and it has legally precedented papers and breeding records.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
T Verdezi sounds like an excellent choice

Last edited:

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I certainly would not start with Psalmopoeus as a beginner until you have some experience with faster more defensive T's. If youre thinking about wanting to get one down the road (which you should cause they are great) depending on what you have now getting a Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens or Nhandu spp. or Acanthoscurria spp. and a Aviculariinae (for arboreals) will help you work up the ladder to more advanced/faster/defensive arboreal species and then down the road old worlds.