Psalmopoeus Irminia Bad Molt Death Related to Lower Temperature?

Dovey

Arachnobaron
I recently lost a young Psalmopoeus irminia to a bad moult. I am wondering if there is any evidence of a connection between temperature and molt deaths? I recently moved, and the irminia's temporary location was entirely too close to a slightly open window when we had a sudden drop in temperature at night. I believe the temperatures near my spiders may have dropped as low as mid 60s near the floor of the room, where the irminia was located, along with several aphonopelma and avicularia species. They all came through the temperature drop just fine, but they were not molting. My Psalmopoeus cambridgei, which was much higher up on the shelving and thus in a warmer spot, is just fine. It looks like the irmenia got her legs caught up in the molt and could not escape. I'm wondering if a lower metabolic rate due to the lower temperature might have foiled her attempts to free herself? are Psalmies more sensitive to lower temperatures than Avics, or was it just one of those things?

cold blood

Staff member
Absolutely. A sling molting or in heavy pre-molt when its either too cold, or when it drops too cold, can be fatal IME. A few years ago, I neglected to turn the space heater on in time, and I had my room drop to the low 60's (although there was no window issue like you had, which IMO is much worse) and just for one single night. I lost 2 larger slings that were pre-molt and a young B. albo that decided to molt during the temp drop. And all 3 of the ones I lost, were species known to be more tolerant of cool temps than a Psalmopeous sp. I lost zero adults, but slings aren't nearly as tolerant.

Last edited: