Psalmopeuses and reclusiveness..?

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Are Psalmopeuses normally as in love with the insides of their webs as avics?
Avics are lovely and adorable but since mine molted I see her about once a week, where before it was once a day, and in the thoughts of getting a third one, I was considering a Psalmopeus, but Vinmann conveniently ran out of them, so I'm sort of wondering what I'd be missing if I got something else?

TheDon

ArachnoDon
Old Timer
My P. Irminia has been in her web for about 11 days straight now but before that she would be out walking around at night... I was told that they dont very often come out of their webs not a good show tarantula for that reason... but I think mine is going to molt soon so that is why she never comes out.

TheDon

I was just reading another website and their was a caresheet on the P. Irminia and this is one thing it said in the info

"As nice as the spider looks, it is rarely seen as it will web up the entire enclosure, not the best display spider."

and the same was said about the Trinidad Chevron form the same family as the Suntiger

Last edited:

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
That's exactly what they are like.

I've had mine for three months and I've had maybe 20 seconds of viewing time at best (and only at night etc). It bolts down it's web tunnel whenever it senses movement.

Mine's a s'ling so the colors aren't all there yet but the pictures of adults I've seen show them to be real beauties.

I posted a picture last night because I couldn't believe that I was actually able to get a picture of this elusive and fast 'sling:click here

Jeff

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I agree with everyone, heck I almost think they are worse then Avicularia. All of mine stay hidden, with just there feet sticking out.

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
I have 4 Psalmopoeus species, 1 new specie on its way! (pulcher) Mine all hide! They are WAY worse then Avicularia, as Jeremy said, you only see their legs!

James :)

Jeff_C

ArachnoAddicted
Old Timer
you get to see legs? All I usually get (except last night) is letfover crix parts and a monthly molt.

Not bad if you don't mind feeding and watering dirt :)

Jeff

Vys

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah, ok, thanks folks, that about decides it. More avics for me, or another clumsy terrestrial that can't climb but thinks it can :)