Proud new owner of B. Hamorii with questions

light91

Arachnopeon
Hi all. I have some questions about whether my new spood is a sub adult or still a juvenile, and if one medium cricket per week is enough... I think she's roughly two years old. She's a little thing, about two inches diagonaI leg span not fully spread out. I got her from a chain store (i know). They told me she's female but honestly I have no idea. I tried feeding her a few small crickets and she didn't move at all, she wasn't interested. I'm not sure if it was because of the size of the feeders or if she's just not hungry. I removed them after about half an hour. It has not been a full week since I got her and I have read that she's most likely still adjusting. She moves around a tad bit when I'm asleep. Her water bowl is behind the hide. She sits on it all day, she's never gone in it which is cool, she likes looking pretty. I am getting a new enclosure this week because I do not like the one the store had, it's a mesh top. I ordered a herpcult large acryllic clear top. I just don't wanna stress her out again and move her so soon, but since I kinda have to is the move gonna 'reset' her time in adjustment? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
Hi all. I have some questions about whether my new spood is a sub adult or still a juvenile, and if one medium cricket per week is enough... I think she's roughly two years old. She's a little thing, about two inches diagonaI leg span not fully spread out. I got her from a chain store (i know). They told me she's female but honestly I have no idea. I tried feeding her a few small crickets and she didn't move at all, she wasn't interested. I'm not sure if it was because of the size of the feeders or if she's just not hungry. I removed them after about half an hour. It has not been a full week since I got her and I have read that she's most likely still adjusting. She moves around a tad bit when I'm asleep. Her water bowl is behind the hide. She sits on it all day, she's never gone in it which is cool, she likes looking pretty. I am getting a new enclosure this week because I do not like the one the store had, it's a mesh top. I ordered a herpcult large acryllic clear top. I just don't wanna stress her out again and move her so soon, but since I kinda have to is the move gonna 'reset' her time in adjustment? Thanks for the help.
You’re overthinking. Don’t feed ”once a week” don’t have a schedule, look at abdomen size. If not hungry, it won’t eat but you’ve gotta be careful not to overfeed it. Brachys can fast for long periods. From what you wrote, it sounds like she’s not hungry.

Also, sub for this genus/species should be dry.

Read this, lots of useful tips, don’t overthink it. Moving around is natural when moving into a new enclosure, it can take days. Read this:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
All your answers are found on the forum- it’s called SEARCH.

Feeding on a schedule not needed!!

light91

Arachnopeon
All your answers are found on the forum- it’s called SEARCH.

Feeding on a schedule not needed!!
I was excited and wanted to talk about my T. Guess I'll just not use the board literally called Questions ever again.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
I was excited and wanted to talk about my T. Guess I'll just not use the board literally called Questions ever again.
that’s viper for you we practically see the same exact questions daily here check the ⚡looking icon, but don’t stop asking questions because one negative response.
Sounds like you got it set up pretty well when there hungry this species is very quick to attack prey. I’m interested in this new lid your getting, I still have a few that are mesh. Zilla enclosures are hard to modify.

Mustafa67

Arachnosquire
that’s viper for you we practically see the same exact questions daily here check the ⚡looking icon, but don’t stop asking questions because one negative response.
Sounds like you got it set up pretty well when there hungry this species is very quick to attack prey. I’m interested in this new lid your getting, I still have a few that are mesh. Zilla enclosures are hard to modify.
@viper69 is AWESOME! He’s a legend and one of the most knowlegable people on this forum. Straight-forwards, direct with no bs. Don’t be sensitive, just appriciate what is given. @viper69 s advice is like gold dust.

Like @LilithArachne says, don’t be discouraged. We love our Ts :D

Stu Macher

Ghostface
Arachnosupporter
Brachypelma like Hamorii tend to go on hunger strikes. People on this forum will sing praises to the all coveted Brachy. You did good by not buying a sling that's all I can say. If you're ever in NY you can take my B Boehmei sling off my hands free of charge. On the plus side, they are bullet proof even as slings.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Then don’t use it, your choice 🤣🙄

The reason I tell people to search is because when you search for info on AB you will learn far more than what you’re asking about! I certainly do.

When it comes to owning a living animal that you’re responsible for, learning additional knowledge is never a bad thing.

Good luck!

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I just don't wanna stress her out again and move her so soon, but since I kinda have to is the move gonna 'reset' her time in adjustment?
Well first its not going to "stress" them out, and second if your lid is a mesh screen its going to need to be changed from that anyways so that it does not get a leg stuck, so you have to do it either way.
And yes anytime they are rehoused they are going to need to settle back in, but that really nothing that needs to be worried about in your situation. I think its great your already aware and prepared to not use a woven mesh lid and have a new enclosure coming!

fcat

Arachnobaron
Arachnosupporter
I just want to commend you on the volume of substrate. That T is living the literal high life 😍

Brewser

AraneaeRebel
Arachnosupporter
Congratulations on Your New Brachy Buddy.
Welcome Aboard.
Best Regards

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
I just want to commend you on the volume of substrate. That T is living the literal high life 😍
Agreed! Plus its nice to see a new keeper who had considered the ability to burrow!