Proper arboreal hides?

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I remember reading somewhere that psalmopeous, tapinauchenius and avicularia like to use leaves to make silk retreats in the wild. I also read that heteroscodra and stromatopelma like to live in the crowns of palm trees. I found some great plastic palm fronds and intend to use them to make hides for my psalmos, tapins, heteroscodra, stromatopelma and avics. However, i also read that poecilotheria, lampropelma and cyriopagopus like to live in the hollows of trees. Does this mean that they wouldn't make their own silken retreats from plastic palm fronds and that i must find a length of bamboo or corkbark? I also have a p. murinus, p. lugardi and p. chordatus that I plan on setting up semi-arboreal. Would the plastic palm frond idea work or would a bamboo or corkbark tube work better?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
All of my arboreals have the same type of hide..

Its a slab of cork bark.. Leaning to one side of the enclosure.. Everyone of my T's have webbed their own retreat behind it..

You dont need anything special..

blooms

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Right now that's what I do. It's just that now I'm designing new acrylic containers, and want be a little bit artsy fartsy. I can get bark fairly inexpensively over here. My plan was to have the containers opening in the front and to cover one side and the back with bark. I am then going to hot glue/silicone a plastic palm frond into one corner to encourage the T to make it's tube web in front of the bark, but within the palm frond. I thought it would look cool. I just don't know if pokies or lampropelmas or cyriopagopuses(or is that cyriopagopi?) would do that?

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What I did was to wrap some plasterbandages around a bottle, to make a hollow log type thing. Then I sealed it with silicone, which I stuck some leaves to. They're drying at the moment, I just want to make sure theres no fume residue..

sn95

Arachnopeon
I used to lean the bark up against on side of the enclosure with no problems. However when I gave my P. ornata the option of a tube and leaning bark, it prefered the tube. The only times I saw it behind the leaning bark was when it would molt.

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
All of my arboreals have the same type of hide..

Its a slab of cork bark.. Leaning to one side of the enclosure.. Everyone of my T's have webbed their own retreat behind it..

You dont need anything special..
+1

Avis will web where they want, if your lucky, its where you want. If you offer a tight tube/hide, you may run into a T having to molt in a spot too tight for a clean molt.

They know what to do.

PIG-