Problem: Mature male G. rosea moulted again....

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Our mature male G. rosea moulted again, and got mostly out of the old skin but got one pedipalp stuck, he lost the other one. We had to cut it off to get him out of the skin, but were not able to do it at the joint closest to the body. There was a small amount of hemolyph loss, and he is still moving around. We put him in a standard ICU, is there anything else we can do for him?

ballpython2

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Our mature male G. rosea moulted again, and got mostly out of the old skin but got one pedipalp stuck, he lost the other one. We had to cut it off to get him out of the skin, but were not able to do it at the joint closest to the body. There was a small amount of hemolyph loss, and he is still moving around. We put him in a standard ICU, is there anything else we can do for him?
there is somethin you can try.... get a bowl of some sort and put in glycingen ( I spelled that wrong) and some water... dip the the part in there that wont come off and this should help to hydrate it and hopefully take it off.....someone please correct me on that G word...if no one can think of the word I mean, I'll look it up in the tarantula guide...

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Generally they won;t survive this molt. Its hard to get the swollen pedipalps out of the skin. It happens, but its rare. Hope he does pull through.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
if i understand right , he lost one pedipalp on molting and you cut the other one off because it was stuck in the old exo?? if so all you can do is try to stop any leaking from the wound, he will probably toss that palp too . so i'd put somethign on the wound like liquid bandaid or super glue , then put him in ICU and see what happens
even flour or corn starch may seal it off

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i would assume its going to pass soon anyway since its so rare they survive past a post maturation molt. Best of luck to him though!

Did he at least get to try and pass on his genes?

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Yes, that is what happened. He got one pedipalp out and one stuck. We did put him in an ICU after putting liquid bandage over the part of the remaining pedipalp.
He is still in ICU and still alive. There is no more leaking. (He really wasn't leaking a lot last night) Also one of his hind legs got caught on the moult and now turns upward from the last two joints.
I'm going to leave him in ICU for the rest of today, then put him back in his house with plenty of water, and we will see from there.
Yes, he did breed, and for several different people. Just not us.

T-chick

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congrats on having him be a probably daddy.
And I sure hope he makes it. Mine didn't.
(((hugs)))

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
He is still okay. I'm going to move him out of ICU later tonight and make sure he has lots of water, after that it is up to him and the powers that be. Thanks, T-chick. It could be months maybe even years before we find out if he was successful in his mating attempts.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Has he lost both his emboli? Please update us further. I am interested in if he is able to molt again and what would be the consequences of it if he did. Would he regain his emboli and be able to mate again? I have heard that males do not really recover after a post ultimate molt though.

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I'm sorry to tell everyone, he died this afternoon. Thank you so much for all of the help offered. We moved him back into his regular house last night with a full water dish and he looked terrible. His legs were so thin, they didn't look as if they could hold up his tiny little abdomen. He had started to go into a death curl this morning, and by this afternoon there was no doubt he was gone.
Thank all of you again for the help and support.

Hedorah99

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry to tell everyone, he died this afternoon. Thank you so much for all of the help offered. We moved him back into his regular house last night with a full water dish and he looked terrible. His legs were so thin, they didn't look as if they could hold up his tiny little abdomen. He had started to go into a death curl this morning, and by this afternoon there was no doubt he was gone.
Thank all of you again for the help and support.
Sorry for your loss :(