Pringles mmmm there good?

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Well for my cobalt blue and my a.seemani i have decide to see them better wehn they burrow to put in pringle tubes cut in half as a burrow against the wall. My cobalt blue warmed up to the idea quickly but the a.seemani hasn't.

Now my question is, is this ok like there no chemical on the tubes or anything?

I washed the tubes and everything with water and soap so yah is it safe?

Becky

Arachnolord
Old Timer
I would of thought they'd be ok, but the spider really doesn't need them and kinda defeats the idea of a burrow lol
The spiders would dig it out themselves, then web the floor and the surface at the top and bottom to feel food etc as it approaches... It would prob work better for arboreals... e.g. pokies to hide behind

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Yes but when they burrow u are unable to see the spider...

As i would like to see my cobalt blue once in awhile lol...I have decided to use these up against the side of the tank. You can watch the spider down in its burrow. As most of you know alot of us arent fortunate enough to have there spider make a burrow against the wall of the tank most of the time.

This way you have a window into its life int he burrow. I already love this idea cause i have watch the cobalt, get ready to pounce prey, take the prey down and eat it and groom itself.

So i think i would recommend this to alot of people to allow them to see those T.s that burrow and u dont get to see very often...

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Wouldn't they get soggy and deteriorate? Or are you talking about the Lays plastic tubes?

mr_jacob7

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
what might make it a little more fun 4 the t, would be to prob stick it in there, and then dig only, like, a little of the dirt out of it. you know? only start teh burrow for him/her. so it'd still feel like theirs. idk, tho. i've never had an arboreal (sp).

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just put together an enclosure for an H lividum (1st one). I used a toilet paper tube against the wall, packed the soil down around it then removed the tube. This left a more natural start to a burrow about 3" deep. No cardboard to deteriorate, mold, etc and no worries about funny smelling chemicals in the paper discouraging the T from using the burrow. If she adopts the burrow she'll apply the appropriate webbing to sturdify the burrow. I'll see soon enough if it really works as i'm housing 'Boba Fett' today after work.

Sheazy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I think a better material to use would be a piece of PVC pipe...just cut in half the same way. Stick it in there, fill it with dirt, start the burrow...and you have the same thing..but no worries of cardboard deteriorating, or chemical overdose.

You can also use the plastic tubes from tennis balls if it is a large spider, and you want something clear instead of the white, or grey PVC. I know there is black PVC out there...but harder to find in my experience.

If you want to attempt the same thing for slings, I would recommend using the clear plastic tubes that cigars come in. Just wash them out really well, cut off the closed end, and voila! A clear tunnel so you can directly control burrowing.

I will be pre-making burrow tunnels for mine as well once I get enough tubes, and the time comes to start rehousing. I do plan to fill them all in with dirt, and only start the burrow...let them dig out the rest.

Last edited:

Tacoman

Arachnopeon
Never really thought of the cardboard molding or anything...
Dumb on my part:wall:

So now i will have to switch that up and get the lividium out fo there and remake it...

Oh thats going to be fun:eek:

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yes but when they burrow u are unable to see the spider...
Even if you cut the tube in half and put it against the side of the cage it will web it up and you still wont be able to see it

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what has worked for me is to use a smaller cage and just make a starter burrow down one side. this has worked for H. lividum, Ceratogyrus sp., etc.

Like BrianS said, though, if you keep them in a well lit room they are still goign to web up any viewing ports... so i keep mine in shadows and dark most of the time and they tend to barely web at all

edit:
also, a starter burrow for me is not a big spider sized hole that is 4" deep... i just pack in the substrate and then the last thing i do is to run one of my big brushes (14+") down the size of the container leaving a long and very thin starter hole. virtually every obligate burrower i have done this to has used the starter.

if you make the cage too big then the spider will make a burrow with the resting spot in the middle of all the sub... but if you use a smaller cage then typically you can catch glimpses of the spider as it can't get *too* far from the side of the container